Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com> on 2020/06/16 14:00:04 UTC

JPMS module names

Hey folks,

I've extrapolated what I found as basis for a rule to create module names
and this is what I've come up with:

module.name: org.apache.${replace;${Bundle-Name};-;.}

that is:
- take the `Bundle-Name` value (which appears to have a consistent format)
- replace dashes with dots
- prefix with "org.apache."

The result is:

org.apache.tomcat.api
org.apache.tomcat.catalina
org.apache.tomcat.catalina.ant
org.apache.tomcat.catalina.ha
org.apache.tomcat.coyote
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp
org.apache.tomcat.jasper
org.apache.tomcat.jasper.el
org.apache.tomcat.jni
org.apache.tomcat.juli
org.apache.tomcat.ssi
org.apache.tomcat.storeconfig
org.apache.tomcat.tribes
org.apache.tomcat.util
org.apache.tomcat.util.scan
org.apache.tomcat.websocket

For the spec API I've used the official names pulled from each spec project:

jakarta.annotation
jakarta.el.api
jakarta.security.enterprise
jakarta.servlet
jakarta.servlet.jsp
jakarta.websocket.api

Does that look correct?

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: JPMS module names

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/06/2020 15:52, Raymond Auge wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 16/06/2020 15:00, Raymond Auge wrote:
>     > Hey folks,
>     >
>     > I've extrapolated what I found as basis for a rule to create module
>     > names and this is what I've come up with:
>     >
>     > module.name <http://module.name> <http://module.name>:
>     org.apache.${replace;${Bundle-Name};-;.}
>     >
>     > that is:
>     > - take the `Bundle-Name` value (which appears to have a consistent
>     format)
>     > - replace dashes with dots
>     > - prefix with "org.apache."
>     >
>     > The result is:
>     >
>     > org.apache.tomcat.api
>     > org.apache.tomcat.catalina
>     > org.apache.tomcat.catalina.ant
>     > org.apache.tomcat.catalina.ha
>     > org.apache.tomcat.coyote
>     > org.apache.tomcat.dbcp
>     > org.apache.tomcat.jasper
>     > org.apache.tomcat.jasper.el
>     > org.apache.tomcat.jni
>     > org.apache.tomcat.juli
>     > org.apache.tomcat.ssi
>     > org.apache.tomcat.storeconfig
>     > org.apache.tomcat.tribes
>     > org.apache.tomcat.util
>     > org.apache.tomcat.util.scan
>     > org.apache.tomcat.websocket
>

> Are we at least fine with the tomcat module names? (notice I did miss
> tomcat-jdbc which has a special build that I still need to work on).

They look OK to me.

>     > For the spec API I've used the official names pulled from each
>     spec project:
>     >
>     > jakarta.annotation
>     > jakarta.el.api
>     > jakarta.security.enterprise
>     > jakarta.servlet
>     > jakarta.servlet.jsp
>     > jakarta.websocket.api
>     >
>     > Does that look correct?
>
>     A couple of the spec ones look inconsistent. The naming guidance for
>     Jakarta is:
>     https://wiki.eclipse.org/JakartaEE_Maven_Versioning_Rules
>
>     I don't think the Jakarta PMC has made a final decision on JMPS rules or
>     even if a JPMS name is required. I have proposed that as a general rule
>     each project uses the OSGi Bundle-SymbolicName with any "-" characters
>     replaced by "." as the JPMS module name.
>
>     I'd expect at least JSP and servlet to switch to that format by the time
>     of the Jakarta EE 9 release.
>

> I will adjust and follow your proposal for the time being then.

OK. I guess explicitly stating something and being "wrong" is no worse
than one being implied from the file name and being "wrong".

I'll see what I can do to get clearer guidance from the Jakarta EE PMC.

Mark

Re: JPMS module names

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 16/06/2020 15:00, Raymond Auge wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I've extrapolated what I found as basis for a rule to create module
> > names and this is what I've come up with:
> >
> > module.name <http://module.name>:
> org.apache.${replace;${Bundle-Name};-;.}
> >
> > that is:
> > - take the `Bundle-Name` value (which appears to have a consistent
> format)
> > - replace dashes with dots
> > - prefix with "org.apache."
> >
> > The result is:
> >
> > org.apache.tomcat.api
> > org.apache.tomcat.catalina
> > org.apache.tomcat.catalina.ant
> > org.apache.tomcat.catalina.ha
> > org.apache.tomcat.coyote
> > org.apache.tomcat.dbcp
> > org.apache.tomcat.jasper
> > org.apache.tomcat.jasper.el
> > org.apache.tomcat.jni
> > org.apache.tomcat.juli
> > org.apache.tomcat.ssi
> > org.apache.tomcat.storeconfig
> > org.apache.tomcat.tribes
> > org.apache.tomcat.util
> > org.apache.tomcat.util.scan
> > org.apache.tomcat.websocket

Are we at least fine with the tomcat module names? (notice I did miss
tomcat-jdbc which has a special build that I still need to work on).

> > For the spec API I've used the official names pulled from each spec
> project:
> >
> > jakarta.annotation
> > jakarta.el.api
> > jakarta.security.enterprise
> > jakarta.servlet
> > jakarta.servlet.jsp
> > jakarta.websocket.api
> >
> > Does that look correct?
>
> A couple of the spec ones look inconsistent. The naming guidance for
> Jakarta is:
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/JakartaEE_Maven_Versioning_Rules
>
> I don't think the Jakarta PMC has made a final decision on JMPS rules or
> even if a JPMS name is required. I have proposed that as a general rule
> each project uses the OSGi Bundle-SymbolicName with any "-" characters
> replaced by "." as the JPMS module name.
>
> I'd expect at least JSP and servlet to switch to that format by the time
> of the Jakarta EE 9 release.

I will adjust and follow your proposal for the time being then.

- Ray

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: JPMS module names