Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Hitendra Molleti <hi...@itp.com> on 2010/08/16 18:13:54 UTC

Solr for multiple websites

Hi

We have a news portal built on a CMS that heavily uses solr for indexing.
Going ahead we will be migrating all our other portals to the same platform
and are not sure how do we work with Solr for multiple websites.

The options are:

1) Using multiple publications/indexes within solr for each site
2) Run one instance/schema of solr for all websites

The advantage of (1) is all websites will not be affected if there is
something wrong with one solr publication, the downside being sharing of
content between multiple websites.
While the (2) does provide you with flexibility of sharing/searching content
across multiple websites but also comes with the risk of adding all websites
to a single schema (which may cause performance issues).

Would appreciate if someone can guide us in the right direction and share
their experience with us.

Hitendra

Re: Solr for multiple websites

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Some Solr terms:
Lucene Index: actual Lucene index on the disk
Solr core: Solr wrapper for a Lucene Index- core is generally used
when talking about configuring it
Solr shard: A Lucene index with a Solr wrapper, that is part of a
distributed Solr index. 'shard' specifically means a part of the whole
searchable index.

Schema: a specification for the data inside a Solr index/core/shard.
The schema should be the same among all shards in a distributed index.

Solr searches other shards with the Distributed Search feature. This
search is done by a 'broker' or 'distributor' Solr core. None of the
technical docs ever give a name to the broker, so the idea often
doesn't appear when talking about designing a distributed solr and so
it easy to get confused. Thus, people use one of the existing shard
cores to also do the broker job, causing all kinds of confusion.

I prefer to configure a separate core with no actual data. It only
does the broker job. Suppose there are 3 shards 'h1', 'h2', and 'h3'.
I make a separate core called 'h' and set up the list of cores as
invariant parameters in a <requestHandler> spec. Makes things much
more clear.

I think that Hitendra used 'schema' in the MySql usage of 1 set of
tables in an MySQL database.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl> wrote:
> http://osdir.com/ml/solr-user.lucene.apache.org/2009-09/msg00630.html
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/solr-user.lucene.apache.org/2009-03/msg00309.html
>

> Load balancing is bit out of scope here but all you need is a simple HTTP load balancer and a replication mechanism, depending on your set up.

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

RE: Solr for multiple websites

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl>.