Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Patricia Maffeis <ma...@cae.com> on 2002/08/29 16:48:33 UTC

Problem compiling Fortran files using gcc compiler and cpptasks

Hi,

While trying to build FORTRAN files using the "gcc" compiler (in a Linux
platform) I discovered that cpptasks.jar will allow (for gcc) to compile
only files with extensions ".c", ".cpp", etc .  The FORTRAN extensions ".f",
"for", etc are supported in the "df" compiler. The error message obtained
was: "Unrecognized file type <filename> will be passed to linker".
The version of cpptasks.jar that I am using is: "cpptasks 1.0 beta 1" found
at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ant-contrib

I modified the source code in CompaqVisualFortranCompiler.java,
CompaqVisualFortranLibrarian.java, CompaqVisualFortranLinker.java so I can
use the "gcc" compiler instead of the "df". I am not happy with my changes
because I might break something else on the source code and I will have to
keep changing my code on new releases of cpptasks.

Will there be any support for FORTRAN files in the gcc compiler. If there is
any support now (I have searched everywhere :)) could you let me know where
to find it? Is there any other solution to use gcc for Fortran other than
modifying the source code?

Thanks in advance,

Patricia Maffeis
Software Developer