Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/07 19:41:48 UTC

Exciting Addition to Groovy Ecosystem

Hello Groovers,

I am the developer of Solvent (codesolvent.com), it a platform for doing
web development via JSR-223 with Groovy being the primary language. The
solvent developer environment is itself a web application with a back-end
built entirely in Groovy via the JSR-223 Groovy scripting engine.

I am trying to bring it to the attention of the community as an option for
doing web development besides Grail.

There is a demo system you can access @ http://demo.codesolvent.com:7000/
login: developer/developer

Be nice, this is a shared demo system that others need and you have full
system access :)

to see a sample, open: /com/crudzilla/betaApp/web/language-test/groovy.ste

You can test by right-clicking then select "Open In Browser".

This could make Groovy very accessible to web developers as it gives an
easy way to build applications out-of-the-box, not unlike using something
like PHP.

I am hoping folks would be interested in reviewing it and sharing feedback.
I am more than happy to give an in depth demo and answer questions. I am
hoping to eventually have Solvent added to the list of Ecosystem solutions
for Groovy.

I hope to hear back.

Regards
Edmond

Re: Exciting Addition to Groovy Ecosystem

Posted by Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes sortable tabbing is coming soon along with a
number of UI updates. Feel free to join the google group where updates will
posted: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/solvent-dev  or twitter
(@CodesolventHQ)

Beyond the UI there is a ton of innovation built into the product, there
are still some essentials to be baked in, chiefly code intelligence
(intellisense, code completion... etc) which is a high priority.

Would you be downloading and trying it out? :)

Posted by Edmond Kemokai <ek...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the follow up!

Apologies for the slow movement on the issue of licensing, I'll be putting
out a blog post with clarification for everyone else and also update the
site with that information. We're just swamped with work at the moment
trying to get things going.

Solvent as a platform is a combination of an application server (Jetty
primarily), a Middleware (written in Java, for now at least) and a
front-end developer application.

Jetty of course is open source, and also you may use a different J2EE
container with some minor change to your application configuration and
including the necessary library dependencies (all library dependencies are
open source).

The Middleware is also open source with the Apache 2.0 license. We'll be
setting up a GitHub repo for the middleware to facilitate collaboration
though for now we maintain the code as part of the overall distribution.
The middleware is what is required to run Solvent applications. You can
find the middleware code under /com/crudzilla/Solvent/Solvent-Middleware.

The final component is the developer application, which it self runs on top
of the Solvent middleware. The complete source code of this application is
also included with the distribution; However, this is a commercial
application and we're still trying to determine an appropriate license for
it. Most likely this application will end up having an Atlassian style
permissive source code license, meaning customers/users will have the right
to modify it to suit their needs but may not redistribute their
modifications. The source code for the developer application can be found
under /com/crudzilla/Solvent/web .

Basically the developer web application is the value-add product that
Codesolvent as a company will be selling. We're still working out pricing
and a license model. The developer application is not a requirement for
running Solvent applications or even creating them, granted it will not be
ideal to build applications in a plain text code environment. We'll likely
also end up putting the developer application on GitHub to facilitate user
contribution (bug fixes, enhancements..etc) which may be integrated if we
deem it suitable.

I am very much interested in your feedback/concern both regarding the
product and the license model.

Regards
Edmond