Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Imam Toufique <te...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/09 07:49:33 UTC

blacklist_from not working with SA version 3.4.0

Hello everyone,

I am running SpamAssassin 3.4.0 in centOS 7, and I can't get blacklist_from
to work.  Here is my local.cf:

rewrite_header subject         *****SPAM*****

required_hits 5
report_safe 0
#rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]
use_bayes 1
ok_languages en

#bayes_auto_learn 1
#bayes_ignore_header X-Bogosity
#bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Flag
#bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status
bayes_ignore_header X-getmail-filter-classifier

blacklist_from *@gmail.com
whitelist_from_rcvd *@exmaple.edu

I would like to block all e-mails from gmail.com in this case above.  I am
using spamc (with spamd in daemon mode).  I am using spamc via an external
option in getmail.  when I send mail from my gmail account, spamc does not
honor the rule as setup with "blacklist_from *@gmai.com " .

I started spamd with the command below:
/usr/bin/spamd --daemonize -D  --pidfile /var/run/spamd.pid

Can you give me a hand with this, please?  I am very new with SA.

thanks a lot.

*Imam Toufique*
*213-700-5485 <(213)%20700-5485>*

*Imam Toufique*
*213-700-5485 <(213)%20700-5485>*

*Imam Toufique*
*213-700-5485*

Re: blacklist_from not working with SA version 3.4.0

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 9 Oct 2017, at 13:42, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> more help ask on amavisd maillist

Benny: he already said he was using spamc/spamd, which means amavisd
isn't involved at all.

Re: blacklist_from not working with SA version 3.4.0

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Imam Toufique skrev den 2017-10-09 19:25:

> not sure how to do that.  Can you please tell me how to do that?  I
> want all e-mails (in this example... ) from gmail.com [2] to be
> deleted/discarded as soon as SA scans them.

then add it to mta stage to reject *@gmail.com as sender, rejects is not
what spamassassin is designed to do, if you reject in amavisd you will
reject mail to a forged sender :/

do not do this

it's safe to reject in mta stage, so keep it there

and do not use amavisd as a spam scanner, this is basily broken since
day one, it fine as a spam controller, but not as a spam scanner

amavisd with amavisd-milter can safely reject mails that are spam just
like mta can, but not possible if done in after queue setups

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017, Imam Toufique wrote:

> Yes, I restarted spamd after changing blacklist entries.  Actually, I think
> it it working, as it is changing the e-mail subject lines to
> "****SPAM****".  But it is not deleting/discarding those mails.

SA does not, itself, perform *delivery* of messages. It only scores them.
Something else then needs to look at that score to decide the ultimate
fate of the message: deliver, quarantine, discard, reject.

That the messages are being labeled SPAM is promising.

Take a look in the message headers to see whether there is a blacklist
rule hitting. If so, all of your changes to SA have worked.

Now you need to look at what is checking the SA score to see why they are
still being delivered. If you don't have anything that's looking at the SA
score to make a delivery decision, all your spam will still be delivered
to the recipient, it will just be marked as such.

   The third basic rule of firearms safety:
   Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!
  193 days since the first commercial re-flight of an orbital booster (SpaceX)

Re: blacklist_from not working with SA version 3.4.0

Posted by Imam Toufique <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Martin!  I will try spamkiller tool.  ....will update you all soon.

thanks.

Posted by Imam Toufique <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

I installed spamkiller,  looked at the man page, and found the following
example:

CMD="sendmail -i "$@" "
spamc | spamkiller -c="$CMD"

So, I followed the example and created my command below:

su fetchmail -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/spamc | /usr/local/bin/spamkiller
-c=/usr/bin/fetchmail -a -v -f /opt/RT/4.4.2/etc/fetchmailrc"

when I run the above, nothing seems to happen.  I am sure I am missing
something here, not sure what it is.

My previous fetchmail command, see below, runs OK:

su fetchmail -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -a -v -f
/opt/RT/4.4.2/etc/fetchmailrc"

I just added spamc and spamkiller in it.

any idea?

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.

Posted by Imam Toufique <te...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much, it was very helpful for me to know so much about SA
;-) I learned a lot of all of you on SA that I had no idea about.  Very
much appreciated!

Martin,

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 10/09/2017 12:25 PM, Imam Toufique wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I restarted spamd after changing blacklist entries.  Actually, I
> think it it working, as it is changing the e-mail subject lines to
> "****SPAM****".  But it is not deleting/discarding those mails.  I am
> not sure how to do that.  Can you please tell me how to do that?  I want
> all e-mails (in this example... ) from gmail.com <http://gmail.com> to
> be deleted/discarded as soon as SA scans them.
>
> thanks.

The default SA rules should add 100 points if you get a hit on
USER_IN_BLACKLIST:

50_scores.cf:score USER_IN_BLACKLIST 100.000

You may also need to enable the ShortCircuit plugin in v320.pre.

If you need further help, please post the spamassassin < msg output to
pastebin.com and link to it so the list can help better.  We are all
guessing at this point.

--
David Jones

Re: blacklist_from not working with SA version 3.4.0

Posted by Imam Toufique <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

"****SPAM****".  But it is not deleting/discarding those mails.  I am not

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.