Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com> on 2003/06/16 18:51:55 UTC

Random DNS and/or network issues

I haven't been watching this group lately, so this may be a topic that
has been covered already and/or fixed.  The issue is that my James mail
server has been randomly deciding that certain email addresses don't
work.  It will give messages like it can't find the server, unknown host
exceptions, couldn't contact server, etc...  It doesn't seem like they
are all related solely to DNS, rather finding the ip-address and then
using that ip-address to contact the other server.

The weird part is that it will work fine for a couple days, sometimes
weeks, and then suddenly decide that a certain set of addresses don't
work.  When I try pinging and telnetting to port 25 directly to the
destination mail servers from my mail server everything works fine.

Has this been fixed?  Do other people see these same types of issues?
 I'm using James 2.1.2, on a RedHat 8.0 box, jdk version 1.4.1.

Thanks

-J

RE: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> One more thing, I just noticed that in one of my previous mailings to
> the james-user list I included some debug output which showed the
> outgoing smtp helloName as the correct full name instead of localhost.

I "fixed" it recently.  We want the SMTP server to register the name that it
gets, but it hasn't done that at the time when the RemoteDelivery threads
are starting.  And there is no guarantee (contract) that the SMTP server
will EVER do so, so run() has a well-marked hack that allows a certain a
period of time for the SMTP server to initialize.  That period was too
short.  If it doesn't find the registered name, it uses one of the server
names.  Since that uses a hash, order is not guaranteed.

	--- Noel

Re: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
One more thing, I just noticed that in one of my previous mailings to
the james-user list I included some debug output which showed the
outgoing smtp helloName as the correct full name instead of localhost.
 Is there any randomness to the order of servernames such that James
restarts cause it to occasionally use different helloNames?

-J

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>I've figured out my 554 problem sending to hotmail, it turns out my
>>server was using 'localhost' as the outgoing smtp helloName.
>

> Oh that's interesting!  Sounds like a good FAQ item.  :-)
>
> RemoteDelivery uses (or tries to use) the server name defined for the SMTP
> service.  This has nothing to do with the autodetection/autodetectip
> support.
>
> Good job tracking that problem down!  :-)

Added to Wiki.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Setting the 'networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl' to 0 seems to have
> helped.

Good.  If you can reproduce a consistent issue, please let Sun know.
Personally it sounds as if your DNS server has some issues, if you are
getting such inconsistent replies.

> Is it James or JavaMail that chooses between multiple MX records if they
> exist?

James.  But JavaMail is the one looking up the server address, and throwing
the UHE.

> I'm thinking if one server was down, maybe its not even trying
> the other servers because it caches the fact that the original
> name did not work.

If there are multiple servers, James will try them each in sequence.  There
were some recent changes to improve that behavior.

> So as long as one server is down and its caching negative lookups,
> even for 10 seconds, it isn't able to connect to a good server
> because it doesn't try the next one.

If there are multiple MX records, you should see James try the next one
immediately.  I have seen that often enough with Hotmail, Yahoo!, AOL, etc.

	--- Noel

Re: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
It is definetly using /usr/local/java, so I'm positive its 1.4.1.
 Setting the 'networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl' to 0 seems to have
helped.  I just watched James get the unknownhostexception from one MX
server, then try a different server 10 minutes later, fail a couple more
times, and then finally succeed in sending the message.  For what its
worth, 'networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl' is set to 10 by default in
1.4.1, so some negative caching of dns entries always does occur.

Is it James or JavaMail that chooses between multiple MX records if they
exist?  I'm thinking if one server was down, maybe its not even trying
the other servers because it caches the fact that the original name did
not work.  So as long as one server is down and its caching negative
lookups, even for 10 seconds, it isn't able to connect to a good server
because it doesn't try the next one.  Just a thought.

Thanks for the help debugging.

-J

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
I have my retry set to 10 minutes with a max retries of 10, which
admittedly is probably pretty short.  However, I've seen it retry after
I've manually tested the network and it will fail until it reaches the
max of 10 retries then bounce the message to the user.  It never seems
to recover once it has had an issue.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
Here is some output from my James server that will hopefully be helpful.
 The first bit is the exception when James tries to send to the server,
then I ping and telnet to port 25, stop and restart James, and at the
end you can see that James is able to send to the aauwms2 server with no
problems after being restarted.  I've removed email addresses from the
logs, but I left in the server names even though I don't believe it has
anything to do with the specific servers.  By tomorrow morning James
will not be able to send to a different server and will probably still
be sending to aauwms2 with no problems.

Thanks for any help you can give me to resolve this problem, I'd rather
not have to restart James every night.

(Not to side track things, but I just noticed that this server is
running exchange.  Maybe I'll check back through the logs to see if that
is common to all the unknown SMTP host problems I've been having.)

-J

17/06/03 12:10:22 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary
exception delivering mail (Mail1055860215161-81-to-aauw.org:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Unknown SMTP host: aauwms2.aauw.org.;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.UnknownHostException: aauwms2.aauw.org.
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:909)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:158)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:233)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:134)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:86)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.connect(SMTPTransport.java:95)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDelivery.java:242)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.run(RemoteDelivery.java:685)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536

[root@mailhost logs]# ping aauwms2.aauw.org
PING aauwms2.aauw.org (206.155.168.206) from 65.105.59.149 : 56(84)
bytes of data.
64 bytes from aauwms2.aauw.org (206.155.168.206): icmp_seq=1 ttl=118
time=29.8 ms
64 bytes from aauwms2.aauw.org (206.155.168.206): icmp_seq=2 ttl=118
time=13.2 ms

[root@mailhost SAR-INF]# telnet aauwms2.aauw.org 25
Trying 206.155.168.206...
Connected to aauwms2.aauw.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 AAUWMS2.aauw.org ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail
Service 5.5.2656.59) ready
helo mailhost.perspectivesoftware.com
250 OK
mail from:<po...@mailhost.perspectivesoftware.com>
250 OK - mail from <po...@mailhost.perspectivesoftware.com>
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

[root@mailhost SAR-INF]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/james stop
[root@mailhost SAR-INF]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/james start

DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo false, useAuth false

DEBUG: SMTPTransport trying to connect to host "aauwms2.aauw.org.", port 25

DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 220 AAUWMS2.aauw.org ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange
Internet Mail Service 5.5.2656.59) ready

DEBUG: SMTPTransport connected to host "aauwms2.aauw.org.", port: 25

DEBUG SMTP SENT: HELO mailhost.perspectivesoftware.com
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK

DEBUG SMTP: use8bit false
DEBUG SMTP SENT: MAIL FROM:<po...@mailhost.perspectivesoftware.com>
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK - mail from
<po...@mailhost.perspectivesoftware.com>

DEBUG SMTP SENT: RCPT TO:<xx...@aauw.org>
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK - Recipient <xx...@AAUW.ORG>

DEBUG SMTP SENT: RCPT TO:<xx...@aauw.org>
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK - Recipient <xx...@AAUW.ORG>

DEBUG SMTP SENT: RCPT TO:<xx...@aauw.org>
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK - Recipient <xx...@AAUW.ORG>

DEBUG SMTP SENT: RCPT TO:<xx...@aauw.org>
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK - Recipient <xx...@AAUW.ORG>

DEBUG SMTP SENT: RCPT TO:<xx...@aauw.org>
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK - Recipient <xx...@AAUW.ORG>

Verified Addresses
  xxx@aauw.org
  xxx@aauw.org
  xxx@aauw.org
  xxx@aauw.org
  xxx@aauw.org
DEBUG SMTP SENT: DATA
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 354 Send data.  End with CRLF.CRLF

DEBUG SMTP SENT:
.
DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 250 OK

DEBUG SMTP SENT: QUIT

RE: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Thanks for the answers.  If the 554 is not James fault but due to a
> transient issue on hotmail causing it to reject the mail, is there a way
> to tell James to resend those emails at a later time?

That is what people were really complaining about regarding Hotmail.  Those
554 messages are permanent errors, according to the standard.  Hotmail
appears to be using them as temporary, which requires the original sender to
re-try the message.  It would be an RFC violation for James to retry the
message after receiving a 5xx response.

> I've noticed that it immediately bounces the 554's to hotmail back
> to me, but on other unknownhostexceptions it keeps trying until my
> preset limit of retries.

James considers a UHE to be temporary, and retries it.

> I've recompiled 2.1.2 with "mail.debug" set to true to see if it will
> give me any further hint as to what is going wrong.

You can also add <debug>true</debug> for the RemoteDelivery mailet.

	--- Noel

Re: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
The fact is that my clients who are using the James mail server are
getting fed up with my explanation that it is hotmail's fault and/or
transient network issues.  They are all technically savvy enough to
realize that when they switch to other SMTP servers they can send the
same mail to the same addresses without a problem.  This includes the
hotmail issue as well as my earlier email about James deciding that
certain addresses are bad.  I realize this isn't your problem, but as
much as I like the James architecture, the lack of stability when

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.
Another thing I've noticed is that James always refuses to send to
hotmail (even after a restart), but if I try it manually via telnet from
the same server it works fine.  This is the exception I get when sending
to hotmail.

16/06/03 13:29:04 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Exception
delivering message (Mail1055784543566-57-to-hotmail.com) - 554
Transaction failed

16/06/03 13:29:04 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Permanent
exception delivering mail (Mail1055784543566-57-to-hotmail.com:
javax.mail.MessagingException: 554 Transaction failed

        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueCommand(SMTPTransport.java:923)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.mailFrom(SMTPTransport.java:643)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:322)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDelivery.java:253)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> until I restart James it gets UnknownHostExceptions, but after
> the restart everything is fine for a little while.

James doesn't cache that information.  If the DNS records are changing,
there could be stale data in the DNS.  But the UnknownHostException would be
coming from java.net.

	--- Noel

Re: Random DNS and/or network issues

Posted by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com>.