Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Matt Doran <do...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/26 03:27:41 UTC

Upgrading to Tapestry 4.0 and localisation message functions

Hi there,

I just downloaded Tapestry 4 beta and tried to compile an application
we're currently building using Tapestry 3.0.  We're still in
development and are really interested in the new features in 4.0.

A couple of the compile problems relate to changes on the services and
engine (which will need to be changed) ... which is fine.

But we have 100s of compile errors (and probably plenty of references
in page templates) due to the removal of the "getMessage(String)" and
the "format(*)" methods from the AbstractComponent (and Page).   And I
couldn't find a reference to this change in the upgrade guide, and
these weren't deprecated in 3.0.

Any reason why these convenience methods were removed?  I guess to
cleanup the page and component interfaces?

What's the recommended approach to get and format messages now?  Is it
to just call getMessages().getMessage(String) and
getMessages().format(*)?

Maybe a note in the release notes or upgrade would help other
upgraders like me.  :)

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Upgrading to Tapestry 4.0 and localisation message functions

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure how or why I removed those methods; you are right, they
exist in 3.0 and should, at most, be deprecated in 4.0.  Please add a
bug and I will fix it for beta-2.

This is one area where annotations are quite helpful!  The @Message
annotation allows you to make any method a wrapper around getMessage()
or format() ... even takes care of converting method parameters into
message arguments.

On 6/25/05, Matt Doran <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just downloaded Tapestry 4 beta and tried to compile an application
> we're currently building using Tapestry 3.0.  We're still in
> development and are really interested in the new features in 4.0.
>
> A couple of the compile problems relate to changes on the services and
> engine (which will need to be changed) ... which is fine.
>
> But we have 100s of compile errors (and probably plenty of references
> in page templates) due to the removal of the "getMessage(String)" and
> the "format(*)" methods from the AbstractComponent (and Page).   And I
> couldn't find a reference to this change in the upgrade guide, and
> these weren't deprecated in 3.0.
>
> Any reason why these convenience methods were removed?  I guess to
> cleanup the page and component interfaces?
>
> What's the recommended approach to get and format messages now?  Is it
> to just call getMessages().getMessage(String) and
> getMessages().format(*)?
>
> Maybe a note in the release notes or upgrade would help other
> upgraders like me.  :)
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Howard M. Lewis Ship