Posted to mirrors@apache.org by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl> on 2009/06/11 18:00:06 UTC

how-to-mirror : sponsor info

Hi mirrors of apache.org,

   the 'how to mirror' page on www.apache.org

     http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

   now has some guidelines on how to add "sponsor info" to your
   apache mirror, for instance a reference to your organisation.

   The "how to mirror" page says/said (under 'requirements') :

     # You must carry the complete site, with no local changes -
     # particularly HEADER.html and README.html files must not be
     # altered or removed ;

   By itself, this requirement makes it hard for a mirror site
   to add sponsor information to an apache mirror.

   Looking at the mirror sites, some sites clearly like to add
   sponsor information, so we added to the guidelines that :

   -- a mirror site can add sponsor information in '/README.html' ;
      that is, the README.html in the root (home) of the mirror.

   To add sponsor information :

   -- edit the file /local/path/to/mirror/README.html

   -- add to your rsync options : --exclude "/README.html"
      Note the '/' in "/README.html" !!

   -- please limit your sponsor information to a few lines of text.

   We ask all mirrors to follow these new guidelines ; in the future,
   mirrrors that add sponsor information using other local changes,
   can be silently removed from the apache list of mirrors.

   If you have any questions or remarks, please don't hesitate to mail me.

   Thank your for your continued support of apache.org ; regards,

   Henk Penning -- apache.org infrastructure

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 253 2804 \_/ \_/
http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/                 M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/