Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Bridge, Peter" <Pe...@dresdnerkleinwort.com> on 2006/08/01 10:47:05 UTC

Problems changing config dir

Hi All,

I can't seem to change the config dir that svn uses (Windows).
I've looked at registry stuff, global config options,
command line option etc, but can't find a single place to say:

'use this config directory for all svn commands'

The problem is that svn seems to always looks at
"user.home" or APPS_DATA (not sure which)
but in our case both of these map onto a networked windows
profile directory.

That seems to be okay for some SVN work,
but when SVN is being called many times it seems like there
is a read of the config files (and readme.txt?) happening constantly.
This is causing big performance problems for us.  Also we have some
other svn clients - tortoise & subclipse, that are also
then reading the same config files that svn owns.

The sad/funny thing is that I don't have any config options defined.

Thanks for any help.

Peter

http://www.dresdnerkleinwort.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender.

Re: Problems changing config dir

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:47, Bridge, Peter wrote:

> I can't seem to change the config dir that svn uses (Windows).
> I've looked at registry stuff, global config options,
> command line option etc, but can't find a single place to say:
>
> 'use this config directory for all svn commands'

Check the help:

$ svn help commit
commit (ci): Send changes from your working copy to the repository.
usage: commit [PATH...]

   A log message must be provided, but it can be empty.  If it is not
   given by a --message or --file option, an editor will be started.
   If any targets are (or contain) locked items, those will be
   unlocked after a successful commit.

Valid options:
   -q [--quiet]             : print as little as possible
   -N [--non-recursive]     : operate on single directory only
   --targets arg            : pass contents of file ARG as additional
args
   --no-unlock              : don't unlock the targets
   -m [--message] arg       : specify commit message ARG
   -F [--file] arg          : read data from file ARG
   --force-log              : force validity of log message source
   --editor-cmd arg         : use ARG as external editor
   --encoding arg           : treat value as being in charset
encoding ARG
   --username arg           : specify a username ARG
   --password arg           : specify a password ARG
   --no-auth-cache          : do not cache authentication tokens
   --non-interactive        : do no interactive prompting
   --config-dir arg         : read user configuration files from
directory ARG

Not that I'm agreeing with you that you should be specifying an
alternate config directory, but that's how you do it.