Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by techtonik <te...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/06 18:00:26 UTC

Resume download on update

Hello,

There is a problem with large files in SVN that when you use low-speed and
unstable Internet connection like GPRS it is nearly impossible to make a
checkout/update. Usually connection should be kept for a reasonable amount
of time to complete download, but in reality sometimes it doesn't happen. I
wonder if there are any plans to add resume capability to checkout/update
data exchange to work around flaky connection timeouts?

--
--anatoly t.

Re: Resume download on update

Posted by techtonik <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Augie Fackler <du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure, if you lose the connection, just run 'svn update' to finish the
> > download.  Checkouts and updates have been restartable since svn 1.0.
> >

> Erm, I think his question was about resuming individual files, which svn
> doesn't support. Anatoly, can you clarify?

You are absolutely right. When I have one 400Mb file and my connection hangs
- I have to break SVN process manually and after restart incomplete
temporary file is removed.

I even created a script to add file to wc manually. I believe it was 1.3.x
series, but I remeber using it with 1.4.x wc as well.
http://rainforce.org/python/syncfile.pys

Posted by Augie Fackler <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.