Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Victor L <vl...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/18 15:16:33 UTC

mesos and coreos?

I am confused: what's the value of mesos on the top of coreos cluster?
Mesos provides distributed resource management, fault tolerance, etc., but
doesn't coreos provides the same things already?
Thanks

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Michael Dilworth <mj...@computer.org>.
i thought coreos was an operating system and not an API

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Timothy Chen <ti...@mesosphere.io>.
I think CoreOS provides a good single node OS for executing containers and Fleet provides very simple scheduling and placement and etcd provides discovery primitives.

I think Mesos besides being ore proven to scale and handle failure scenarios, it also provides more primitives for users to write Mesos frameworks that can provide more information and events for applications to be smarter about how it wants to react to these.

Mesos also provides more isolation choices, more statistics available, and also provides a community and existing frameworks that all users can leverage already.

Tim

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Shuai Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Nope. First, mesos is not a "framework".  A framework is what you use in
your application to help build the app itself, like spring, rails, or
django. Mesos is more fundamental.

- mesos gathers all the resources (cpus/mems/disks) of the nodes in your
cluster and make it a resource pool
- your app doesn't even know it's scheduled and managed (e.g.
started/stopped) by mesos (to be exact, by any framework running on mesos,
like marathon)

So you can think mesos as an "distributed operating system" , just as
mesosphere's slogan says.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Victor L <vl...@gmail.com>.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Tom Arnfeld <to...@duedil.com>.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Joseph Jacks <ja...@gmail.com>.
CoreOS in and of itself does not try to compete directly with Mesos. Fleet vs Mesos is a much better comparison. The biggest difference there is that Mesos is battle proven at scale (100K+ node deployments running in PROD for 1+ yrs). Fleet is not proven at scale.

HTH,
JJ.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Michael Dilworth <mj...@computer.org>.
ok a distribution, with some stuff pre bundled...

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by "scott@heroku" <sc...@heroku.com>.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Michael Dilworth <mj...@computer.org>.
some excellent posts clearing it all up, much appreciated :)

Mike

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Brian Devins <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Diego Medina <di...@fmpwizard.com>.
On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Michael Dilworth <mj...@computer.org> wrote:

> a bit of an aside, but i am under the impression that containers are not
> another OS, but the same as the underlying host. So you cant have an Ubuntu
> container on a CoreOS host.. unless you use a hypervisor.. the container is
> coreos too.

Hi, sorry for going off topic. I also thought the same, that a base coreos
server would have coreos containers, but that's not the case. Coreos prides
itself for being a minimum server OS, for example, there is no running java
or ruby or python directly on coreos, to run any app in java, you need a
container that has the jvm on it.

This link gives you more info
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18786209/what-is-the-relationship-between-the-docker-host-os-and-the-container-base-image

there they talk about having a host ubuntu and docker containers that can
be fedore, they just share the kernel version

PS, I tried this myself to make sure, I had
https://github.com/fmpwizard/coreosdemo
which is based on the golang img which is based on debian
https://github.com/docker-library/golang/blob/c1baf037d71331eb0b8d4c70cff4c29cf124c5e0/1.4/wheezy/Dockerfile

and it run just fine on a coreos cluster on digita ocean

Thanks

--
Diego Medina
Lift/Scala consultant

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by CCAAT <cc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
On 01/18/2015 04:25 PM, Ranjib Dey wrote:
> you are right, OS is same , which is Linux kernerl, But the
> Ubuntu/CoreOS/Redhat etc distinction are in userspace (i.e tools other
> than the kernel), and hence you can have coreos running ubuntu/redhat
> containers.

CoreOS is a gentoo knock_off [1,2.3]

I have not explored CoreOS yet, but I have not found any reason why any
of the common linux distros cannot run on top of CoreOS, including
gentoo or even a mixture of different linux distros.

"
> You cant have container specific kernels, drivers, time
> susbsytem etc. But you can certainly have different distros (redhat,
> ubuntu etc are different distro, not OS).

So if a minimal kernel is used with coreOS the distro inside of a
particular container cannot have different loadable modules inside
of different containers?

> CoreOS eases management of container , an immutable & minimal rootfs ,
> backed by tools (etcd, systemd, fleet, flannel) etc that facilitates
> building large scale systems. For example, etcd is almost a replacement
> of zookeeper (you can use it for leader election, distributed locks
> etc). Fleet is a distributed init system.

I thought CoreOS used Systemd? [4]

I really which CoreOS was using openrc, and systemd could be used inside
of selective containers with different linux distros.

> CoreOS does not provide a sceduler, which mesos does. Also coreos is not
> a resource scheduling system, which mesos is. You have containarize
> things to run on coreos (currently its docker, i think it will rocket in
> future). While thats not a mandate for mesos.

> Neither CoreOS not Mesos gives you `distributed systems`, you can
> distribute your workload using mesos or coreos (mesos will autoschedule
> things for you). Generally the word `distributed systems` used to
> describe things like zookeeper, etcd, cassandra, riak, serf etc, where
> the members are aware of each other, without any external components.
> Most of them also uses  sound theoretical foundations like paxos, raft
> etc for attaining different types of consistency, partition tolerance etc.
>
> Mesos and CoreOS address orthogonal issues, and they can definitely
> complement each other. CoreOS eases updating kernel, manageing app
> deployments due to host OS and app separation. While mesos eases scaling
> and usage issues by autoscheduling. Mesos can use coreos for its
> containment layer (docker/rocket), as well as use etcd (from coreos) to
> do the leader election bit instead of zookeeper (which is pain to run
> over WAN, pain to dynamically resize etc). But there are major work
> involve.

It will be interesting to see how all of these and other possibilities
mature. What about mesos+spark on top of a coreOS infrastructure. Anyone
has any experience with Apache_spark running on coreOS?

> regards
> ranjib

James

[1]
https://coreos.com/docs/sdk-distributors/sdk/building-development-images/#updating-portage-stable-ebuilds-from-gentoo

[2] https://github.com/coreos/coreos-overlay

[3] https://github.com/coreos/portage-stable

[4] https://coreos.com/using-coreos/systemd/

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Ranjib Dey <de...@gmail.com>.
you are right, OS is same , which is Linux kernerl, But the
Ubuntu/CoreOS/Redhat etc distinction are in userspace (i.e tools other than
the kernel), and hence you can have coreos running ubuntu/redhat
containers. You cant have container specific kernels, drivers, time

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Michael Dilworth <mj...@computer.org>.

Re: mesos and coreos?

Posted by Diego Medina <di...@fmpwizard.com>.