Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/26 15:06:22 UTC

Renaming ChangeLogInterceptor to ChangeLogService

Hi !

As I'm working on this new interceptor, I would suggest we rename the
interceptor name from ChangeLogInterceptor to ChangeLogService, and in
the same time, find another for the ChangeLogService interface.

The reason why I'm pushing this renaming is that every other
interceptors are named XXXService, not XXXInterceptors.

The other possibility would be to rename all the interceptors to
XXXInterceptor (and it would be a better move, but sadly a wide
modification).

Any objection ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Renaming ChangeLogInterceptor to ChangeLogService

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 9/26/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi !
> >
> > As I'm working on this new interceptor, I would suggest we rename the
> > interceptor name from ChangeLogInterceptor to ChangeLogService, and in
> > the same time, find another for the ChangeLogService interface.
>

> Np sounds like the being consistent is a good idea.
>
> One possible idea for what is presently named the ChangeLogService could
> be
> just ChangeLog so you can name the interceptor the ChangeLogService.
>
> The reason why I'm pushing this renaming is that every other
> > interceptors are named XXXService, not XXXInterceptors.
> >
> > The other possibility would be to rename all the interceptors to
> > XXXInterceptor (and it would be a better move, but sadly a wide
> > modification).
> >
> > Any objection ?
>

> No objection here.
>
> Just a note about future considerations:
>
> I'm beginning to realize that some subsystems that provide some kind of
> service within the server
> should be accessible straight from the the DirectoryService.

I agree! Our server is composed of Interceptors as Services. However it
should be a collection of Services and Interceptors using them. For example
the Authorization Service can be used by more than one Interceptor (yes we
need this in fact.)

These "services" present a facade to

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: Renaming ChangeLogInterceptor to ChangeLogService

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
We may also consider the pb we have with interceptor chain as a whole.
I filled a JIRA last month :

We may have two kinds of 'Interceptors/services', as you stated, I
agree. We need a serious discussion about that. 2.5 ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.