Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alvaro Martinez Echevarria <al...@lander.es> on 1998/06/12 03:49:49 UTC

funny PR#2422 and rant about list silence

Hi.
I have taken a look at the bug report #2422, with synopsis
"ProxyPassReverse causes endless loop when Proxying "/"
directory". The problem is kind of funny. The user wants to
reverse-proxy an internal server like this:

ProxyPass        / http://internal/foodir
ProxyPassReverse / http://internal/foodir

But /foodir is a subdirectory in the internal server, so a
request to "http://apache/" is proxied by apache as "/foodir" to
the server, and redirected by the server to "http://internal/foodir/".
This "Location" is translated by apache as "http://apache//", and
the game starts all over again. I'm not sure if this can be
considered a bug in the apache code or a configuration problem,
but it should at least be documented (i.e., "if you reverse proxy
a subdirectory, don't forget the trailing slash to avoid possible
redirection loops, and to enhance performance"). Anyway, it could
probably be solved in a dirty way, by doing a second proxy
request in this particular case (when "/" is being
"two-way-proxied" to "/foo" and apache is redirected from "/foo"
to "/foo/"). Any ideas? In the meantime I have already responded
to the user suggesting him the correct configuration.

By the way, I have seen today a new bug report (#2412) about the
FTP proxy problem that yesterday I sent a patch for (#2367). The
bug is quite serious, as the FTP proxy is not working at all in
1.3.0.  Has anybody seen the patch, anyway? I have sent a couple
of patches fixing open PRs on the last two days, but none of the
prominent members of the list has said anything about them (I
mean the developers with rw access to the bug-db and the
cvs-tree). I desperately need some hints about how to concentrate
and optimize my efforts on fixing bugs; it would be a real waste
of time if someone else did again the work I've already done, and
right now this might happen as the PRs are still open.
Regards.

|   Alvaro Martínez Echevarría   |      LANDER SISTEMAS            |
|        alvaro@lander.es        |      Pº Castellana, 121         |
`--------------------------------|      28046 Madrid, SPAIN        |
                                 |      Tel: +34-91-5562883        |
                                 |      Fax: +34-91-5563001        |
                                 `---------------------------------'

Re: funny PR#2422 and rant about list silence

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Alvaro Martinez Echevarria wrote:

> By the way, I have seen today a new bug report (#2412) about the
> FTP proxy problem that yesterday I sent a patch for (#2367). The
> bug is quite serious, as the FTP proxy is not working at all in

Note that even if your patch was committed, that doesn't mean that we
won't keep getting new bug reports even after it is fixed and previous PRs
have solutions.

In this case, it may or may not have helped.

> 1.3.0.  Has anybody seen the patch, anyway? I have sent a couple
> of patches fixing open PRs on the last two days, but none of the
> prominent members of the list has said anything about them (I
> mean the developers with rw access to the bug-db and the
> cvs-tree). I desperately need some hints about how to concentrate
> and optimize my efforts on fixing bugs; it would be a real waste
> of time if someone else did again the work I've already done, and
> right now this might happen as the PRs are still open.

Sorry, there are often far too few people working on bug fixes and the
bugdb.  Right now seems to be one of the slow times, after 1.3.0.

You can get your patches noted in the bugdb, if they are in response to a
bugdb patch, but sending a message to apbugs@apache.org with a subject of
category/xxx where category is the bugdb category and xxx is the number.

eg. mod_proxy/2412

or

eg. mod_proxy/2412: the rain on mars is dry

Re: funny PR#2422 and rant about list silence

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Alvaro Martinez Echevarria wrote:

> By the way, I have seen today a new bug report (#2412) about the
> FTP proxy problem that yesterday I sent a patch for (#2367). The
> bug is quite serious, as the FTP proxy is not working at all in
> 1.3.0.  Has anybody seen the patch, anyway? I have sent a couple
> of patches fixing open PRs on the last two days, but none of the
> prominent members of the list has said anything about them (I
> mean the developers with rw access to the bug-db and the
> cvs-tree). I desperately need some hints about how to concentrate
> and optimize my efforts on fixing bugs; it would be a real waste
> of time if someone else did again the work I've already done, and
> right now this might happen as the PRs are still open.

Dunno about the others, but I've had a hellish week.  All of your patches
(and several others from other folks) are sitting in my mailbox waiting
attention still.  I don't think you have to worry about someone else
duplicating your work though...

Dean