Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2018/10/08 17:40:11 UTC

Re: Does Zipkin need to sign a SGA ?

Hi,

I was looking at the October report and see that we need to close the loop on this thread.

> On Sep 27, 2018, at 2:59 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...basically I'm sure many of us would like to know where the
>> concerns are and how to address concretely what is of issue...
>
> As Craig wrote earlier here
>
>> ..."all that needs to be done" is to establish that all of the copyright owners
>> sign either a Software Grant or an ICLA...
>
> So ideally all contributors sign a common Software Grant, or in some
> documented way delegate that to someone who is authorized to represent
> "the OpenZipkin community" and sign the software grant.
>
> As mentioned at INFRA-16989, the alternative is for all contributors
> to sign an Apache iCLA, IIUC Craig correctly in this case a Software
> Grant is not needed.
>
> From what you say it looks like there's no code from Twitter left in
> the codebase that is to be imported, if that's the case (and again
> provided we have documented declarations that confirm that) my opinion
> is that you don't need to involve Twitter.

I agree. In fact in looking at the Zipkin repository and the contributing.md referenced:

https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/blob/master/.github/CONTRIBUTING.md <https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/blob/master/.github/CONTRIBUTING.md>

It looks to me that the code is already covered. As such I think that all that is needed to get the migration unstuck is a comment from secretary@apache.org on INFRA-16989

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
just updated that issue as there were some rumors that we are unstuck,
just not yet documented as such.

fingers crossed.