Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Patrick von der Hagen <pa...@wudika.de> on 2004/06/07 18:25:22 UTC

LDAP-support in jetspeed-1 and jetspeed-2

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating wheter jetspeed is suitable for an planned
portal-installation but sadly it does not meet our expectations
regarding LDAP-integration. For example jetspeed requires read-ability
on the user-passwords and does not integrate easily with existing
LDAP-resources (and that's exactly the reason anyone might consider
using LDAP in the first place...).

Well, I might be able to invest some time to improve LDAP-support in
jetspeed, but I definitly need some information like wheter other people
are actively working in that area (both regarding jetspeed-1 and
jetspeed-2) and how LDAP-integration is planned for jetspeed-2 (it is
mentioned as a feature).

I'd greatly appreciate any responses.

--
CU,
    Patrick.

Re: LDAP-support in jetspeed-1 and jetspeed-2

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jun 7, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Patrick von der Hagen wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm currently investigating wheter jetspeed is suitable for an planned
> portal-installation but sadly it does not meet our expectations
> regarding LDAP-integration. For example jetspeed requires read-ability
> on the user-passwords and does not integrate easily with existing
> LDAP-resources (and that's exactly the reason anyone might consider
> using LDAP in the first place...).

There are people using J1 LDAP, but I agree integration could be a lot
easier

> Well, I might be able to invest some time to improve LDAP-support in
> jetspeed, but I definitly need some information like wheter other
> people are actively working in that area (both regarding jetspeed-1
> and jetspeed-2) and how LDAP-integration is planned for jetspeed-2 (it
> is mentioned as a feature).
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any responses.
>
> --
> CU,
>    Patrick.

No one is currently working on LDAP support in J2.
I suggest starting by reviewing the current J2 security implementation,
which is based on JAAS, and see if you can find a good integration
point for LDAP with our current design

Re: LDAP-support in jetspeed-1 and jetspeed-2

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Patrick,

The J2 authentication security model is completely
JAAS based, so even though we don't currently have an
LDAP implementation, supporting LDAP for
authentication is quite straightforward.  You
basically need an LDAP LoginModule.

For user management, supporting LDAP would require
providing LDAP support to the user manager.

Supporting LDAP, for user profile values and
authorization would require more work and will
probably not be supported in the first release of J2
unless someone steps up to the plate.

Regarding profile values, I think we could leverage
the PropertyManager to define property set mapping to
a specific data store.  The PropertyManager helps
defining the properties that are available through the
User profile. The API wrapping access to those
properties is the Preferences API.  That would allow
us to introduce a unified user profile of some sort
aggregating properties mapping to various datastores.

Regarding authorization, LDAP support would require
creating a LDAP implementation of most of the security
managers (Role, Group).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David.

--- Patrick von der Hagen <pa...@wudika.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm currently investigating wheter jetspeed is
> suitable for an planned
> portal-installation but sadly it does not meet our
> expectations
> regarding LDAP-integration. For example jetspeed
> requires read-ability
> on the user-passwords and does not integrate easily
> with existing
> LDAP-raesources (and that's exactly the reason
anyone