Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/11/20 23:07:21 UTC

Re: jQuery plugin for Struts 2?

On Nov 20, 2007 1:53 PM,  <name withheld> wrote:
> I've been working with Struts 2 for a few months and have some questions that I was hoping you would be interested in discussing with me.
>
> I see that Struts 2 uses Dojo for it's Ajax capabilities. I prefer jQuery and have contemplated
> making a jQuery plugin for Struts 2, to use instead of Dojo. I'd also like to utilize JSON as
>  the interchange for my Ajax transactions.
>
> I checked out your presentation about the YUI plugin...which is why I'm sending this
> question to you. What all is required to create a plugin? Do you think it is worth the time and
>  effort to create a jQuery plugin? Or, do you think that I'd be better off just using the Dojo for
> the core stuff and then using jQuery on top of that?
>
> I'm just trying to get a feel for what all is involved and if it would be something useful. I know
> you are a very busy person and I appreciate any input you'd be willing to give.
>
> Regards,

The Ajax plugin approach is useful when someone wants to keep Ajax at
arms-length and let a magical taglib handle the JavaScript vodoo. But,
a plugin is NOT required to use Ajax with Struts 2!

Struts 2 works just fine with plain Ajax library out-of-the-box. We
updated the Ajax page recently to help make this point more clear.

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/ajax.html

The bottom line is that if you're savvy enough to even have a Ajax
preference, then you probably want to just use JQuery and Struts
without the "training wheels".

-Ted.

Re: jQuery plugin for Struts 2?

Posted by "matt.payne" <ma...@gmail.com>.
He Dave,

Thanks for the response.

Do to the performance penalty, with struts 2.0.x, I just would like to not
touch dojo again.

Off the bat, I was curious if client side validation could benefit from
writing out jquery validation rules
http://bassistance.de/2008/01/30/jquery-validation-plugin-overview/

You mentioned "writing the bulk of our JavaScript by hand", so a lot of the
ajax/validation calls do not involve dojo?

I'd be interested in chipping in a little if you would like.

Matt

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "matt.payne" <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 here.

Posted by Nuwan Chandrasoma <my...@gmail.com>.
i would like to see one :)

Posted by emartin24 <er...@ericmmartin.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
FWIW, I'm working on a minimal jQuery plugin that
should be up on GoogleCode within a couple of weeks,
including some jQueryUI support.

d.