Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by sambit kumar dikshit <sa...@apple.com> on 2007/03/19 23:20:15 UTC

Service Specific Exception using WSIF Apache Axis

Hi Alek,
    I'm facing problems while trying to get the exceptions thrown
from the Service as fault. For example i have a class called
TestService which has a method test(String param1,String param2) and
it throws an exception called TestException.

    public Class TestService{

    public String test(String param1, String param2) throws
TestException {

         if(something wrong)

            {
                TestException ex = new TestException();
                ex.setErrorCode("test001");
               ex.setErrorMessage("Exception at test method line 12");

            }

     }
}

public Class TestException extends Exception implements Serializable {

private String errorCode;
private String errorMessage;

getter and setter methods for the above goes below......

}

Now the TestService class is exposed as a web service using Axis. The
fault message part for this comes as expected in wsdl file.

I'm using WSIF Apache Axis to invoke the service from the client. I
want to get a handle of the Fault i.e TestException class so that i
can get the details of the error code and error message.
Unfortunately i'm not able to get this at all. When i looked into the
code, i checked that it always checks for the AXIS Fault and takes
the first element of the Axis Fault detail objects and set that
Element to WSIFMessage faultParts. I'm wondering dont we need to
desrialize this Element to the appropriate Exception Class like we do
for the SOAP Response Message.  Is there any specific reason we are
not doing like this.  Also i think there is a problem with the way
Axis handles the fault. I think it expects the exception to be a sub
class of RemoteException. Then this limits the interoporability.

Please suggest how to overcome this type of issues.  My requirement
is to get the Exceptyion thrown from the Service back to the client
and client needs to introspect the exception like a normal response
message and get the appropriate error code, message out of it.

Regards
-Sambit

Re: Service Specific Exception using WSIF Apache Axis

Posted by sambit kumar dikshit <sa...@apple.com>.
Hi Alek,
    Thanks for your response. Yes i feel there needs to have a way as
how to handle the faults for the WS irrespective of PHP,  C#, JAVA.

Regards
-Sambit

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.