Posted to announce@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@apache.org> on 2008/09/19 05:33:54 UTC

[ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Maven 2.1.0-M1.

This release signals the beginning of a new direction in the development
of Maven. Recently, Maven's development efforts were split into three
major goals. First, the Maven 2.0.x code line will be minimally
maintained for regression fixes; the 2.0.x series should be entering
end-of-life mode soon now that 2.1.0-M1 is out.

Next, the 2.x series aims to accomplish a relatively conservative series
of new features, improved implementations, and other changes that bring
with them too much risk to be appropriate for a revision release on the
2.0.x version series. Each of these releases - 2.1, 2.2, and so on -
will be preceded by a formal release plan.

Finally, the 3.x series is the home of Maven's more aggressive
improvements, including wholesale reimplementation of subsystems and the
introduction of major new features.

This means that all discussions in the past that referred to Maven 2.1
now apply mainly to Maven 3.x, currently under development. We will
backport some of the smaller features to the 2.x version series,
provided we can contain the risk of these features and provide a smooth
transition from one version to the next for the user.

You can download Maven here:

http://maven.apache.org/download.html

Release Notes - Maven 2 - Version 2.1.0-M1

** Bug
     * [MNG-2068] - Multiple inheritance fails to find "grand" parent in
../../pom.xml when the groupIds differ (Test Case Attached)
     * [MNG-2318] - When a project has modules and its parent is not
preinstalled the build fails
     * [MNG-2695] - -o makes build fail for snapshot plugins
     * [MNG-2739] - Repository entries are not validated and NPE will occur
     * [MNG-2873] - Unable to find transitive dependencies when they
have been relocated.
     * [MNG-3052] - Transitive Dependency not found when repo is not listed
     * [MNG-3070] - ${x} properties no longer expanded in </version> tag
after 2.0.3
     * [MNG-3106] - Multiple profile activation conditions broken
     * [MNG-3368] - Printing version (-v argument) should not stop
lifecycle execution
     * [MNG-3380] - MavenMetadataSource retrieves ResolutionGroup
without consulting ManagedVersionMap, is problem when relocation
     * [MNG-3475] - Some directories are not basedir aligned
     * [MNG-3482] - merging managed dependencies happens before
managed-dependency versions are interpolated
     * [MNG-3497] - rar, par and ejb3 archives should not be added to
classpath
     * [MNG-3498] - StringIndexOutOfBounds -1 during path translation
while reading pom.xml
     * [MNG-3527] - profile deactivation has no affect
     * [MNG-3530] - Regression: Properties get resolved before the
LifeCycle is Forked.
     * [MNG-3535] - Valid properties which look self referential fail to
resolve
     * [MNG-3536] - REGRESSION: pom.build.sourceDirectory in Maven
2.0.9: it doesn't work anymore
     * [MNG-3545] - Option -P-profile overridden if profile is
activebyDefault
     * [MNG-3581] - stage:copy ClassCastException with maven 2.0.9
     * [MNG-3584] - possible new memory leak in Maven 2.0.9
     * [MNG-3585] - nonProxyHosts separator is wrong in the default
settings.xml
     * [MNG-3599] - webdav does not set http-proxy correctly
     * [MNG-3622] - upgrade to wagon 1.0-beta-4
     * [MNG-3639] - Ant 1.7.0 Task not found after upgrading from Maven
2.0.8 to 2.0.9
     * [MNG-3642] - back-propagation of resources doesn't handle
multiple resources with the same directory
     * [MNG-3645] - Maven doesn't do strict model validation for POMs in
the current reactor
     * [MNG-3651] - mvn.bat returns an incorrect error code
     * [MNG-3654] - [regression] unable to build ServiceMix 3 -
IndexOutOfBoundsException in mergeDeterministicBuildElements
     * [MNG-3667] - Dependencies resolution is wrong in some cases
(xfire-core:1.2.6 for example)
     * [MNG-3671] - plugin-level dependencies in POMs are not
interpolated at correct time
     * [MNG-3680] - POM validation fails on projects in central repo
starting with 2.0.10 RCs
     * [MNG-3684] - Injection of Build instance as report parameter
results in uninterpolated values for build.directory, etc.
     * [MNG-3693] - Updating project POM via project.setFile(..) changes
project basedir, and project classpath when used as a dependency in a
reactor
     * [MNG-3694] - plugin parameters injecting
${project.compileSourceRoots} get uninterpolated source directories
     * [MNG-3697] - NPE at DefaultPluginManager line 700 (from Hudson CI)
     * [MNG-3701] - ClassCastException when building settings.xml with
profiles that have activeByDefault set
     * [MNG-3703] - ExecutionProject contains relative paths in
compileSourceRoots
     * [MNG-3704] - NPE in DefaultLIfecycleExecutor when run from within
Hudson builds
     * [MNG-3705] - Expression: ${executedProject} doesn't work in reports
     * [MNG-3710] - ModelUtils.cloneModel() and .cloneBuild() pollute
existing Plugin instances with merged information
     * [MNG-3716] - Aggregators that fork lifecycles don't have
execution projects setup for all projects in the reactor.
     * [MNG-3717] - Maven prompts for a password when one is provided
over SSH in some circumstances
     * [MNG-3718] - Build timestamp interpolator gives hours in AM/PM
instead of 24-hour time
     * [MNG-3722] - Fail to run CXF code generation with 2.0.10 RC
     * [MNG-3723] - ${project.basedir} is not interpolated
     * [MNG-3724] - ExecutionProject not getting updated
compile/test-compile/script roots in RC10
     * [MNG-3729] - Maven 2.0.10-RC10 fails with NPE on assembly:assembly
     * [MNG-3740] - Plugin builds that reference earlier versions of
themselves in the <plugins> section of the POM result in
StackOverflowError in 2.1.0-M1-RC12
     * [MNG-3741] - CLONE maven-plugin-tools-api requires relative
script root paths
     * [MNG-3743] - pluginManagement not consulted when building from
lifecycle forked via javdoc reports
     * [MNG-3746] - POM properties do not override default system
properties during POM interpolation
     * [MNG-3747] - relative build paths are not path-translated when
using prefixed expressions (eg. project.build.directory) in plugin
configurations
     * [MNG-3748] - settings builder doesn't use strict mode in xml parser

** Improvement
     * [MNG-2609] - Mention 'activeByDefault' in the "Introduction to
Build Profiles" guide
     * [MNG-3268] - Command line doesn't handle multiple -P correctly
     * [MNG-3478] - Use expression ${project.build.directory} instead of
hard-coding "target" in super POM
     * [MNG-3509] - Make "mvn -v" output locale/encoding
     * [MNG-3511] - Review fix for MNG-2166
     * [MNG-3520] - Korean message resource
     * [MNG-3571] - Allow use of ! when deactivating profiles
     * [MNG-3652] - set a user agent for Maven HTTP requests
     * [MNG-3673] - Upgrade plugin versions in super-POM where appropriate
     * [MNG-3698] - Improve performance regarding concrete/dynamic build
transitions surrounding plugin executions and report instantiations
     * [MNG-3709] - Be sure source distro has the same name as the
binary distro in the repository.

** New Feature
     * [MNG-2562] - expose current time as a property for POM interpolation
     * [MNG-2576] - Make Like Reactor Mode
     * [MNG-3219] - Create a CLIRR/JarDiff setup for 2.0.x and 3.0.x
     * [MNG-3675] - Add accessor for lifecycles list to
LifecycleExecutor/DefaultLifecycleExecutor

Enjoy,

-The Maven team

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
You can have a look at
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.1.0+Release+Plan to have an
idea of what should be in the release. In this doc, Make-like is planned for
M3.

Cheers.

2008/9/24 Asgeir S. Nilsen <as...@gmail.com>

> Where is this new make-like reactor documented?  Is it part of 2.1.0-M1?
> I also could not find a tag for 2.1.0-M1 in Subversion, so verifying what
> is
> actually part of 2.1.0-M1 is a bit difficult.
>
> Asgeir
>
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:33, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Well that isn't too surprising since it's not in the download area at all
> > (!)
> >
> > I've copied it across form the deployed repository and it should be
> > syncing shortly...
> >
> > - Brett
> >
> > 2008/9/19 Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>:
> > > I just tried downloading it by non of the mirrors I tried seemed to
> have
> > it
> > > - I gave up after about 10 mirrors - will try downloading again in a
> few
> > > hours, probably just taking its time to propagate..

> > > --
> > > "It is easier to optimize correct code than to correct optimized code."
> > --
> > > Bill Harlan
> > >

> > --
> > Brett Porter
> > Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

See the end of http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Make+Like+Reactor+Mode.

>  Is it part of 2.1.0-M1?

No, it's on the branch for 2.1.0-M2, or available in the plugin being voted on.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/components/tags/maven-2.1.0-M1/

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by "Asgeir S. Nilsen" <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/19 Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>:
> Hi John,
>
> I don't find the 2.1.0-M1 in the download page.
> Is there a problem or maybe it's just some cron that hasn't updated the page
> yet with the newly released version?

It's below Maven 2.0.9.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0-M1 Released

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi John,

> [...]

>    * [MNG-3509] - Make "mvn -v" output locale/encoding
>    * [MNG-3511] - Review fix for MNG-2166
>    * [MNG-3520] - Korean message resource
>    * [MNG-3571] - Allow use of ! when deactivating profiles
>    * [MNG-3652] - set a user agent for Maven HTTP requests
>    * [MNG-3673] - Upgrade plugin versions in super-POM where appropriate
>    * [MNG-3698] - Improve performance regarding concrete/dynamic build
> transitions surrounding plugin executions and report instantiations
>    * [MNG-3709] - Be sure source distro has the same name as the binary
> distro in the repository.
>
> ** New Feature
>    * [MNG-2562] - expose current time as a property for POM interpolation
>    * [MNG-2576] - Make Like Reactor Mode
>    * [MNG-3219] - Create a CLIRR/JarDiff setup for 2.0.x and 3.0.x
>    * [MNG-3675] - Add accessor for lifecycles list to
> LifecycleExecutor/DefaultLifecycleExecutor

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !