Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2002/04/16 05:24:07 UTC

Keeps and space specifiers

Soothed Foperators,

I have been looking for a while, like everybody else, at keeps.  I was
looking for a way to unify the processing of keeps and breaks at the
layout level.  Breaks are easy enough; just create column-break and
page-break pseudo-area and insert into the galley as a sibling of the
affected object's area subtree.  Once that's done, look-ahead and
re-layout operate on the same stream of galley objects.  However, keeps
didn't fit.

It occurred to me that, conceptually, the keeps can all be expressed as
a new keep-together pseudo-area.  The keep-together property itself is
expressed during layout by wrapping all of the generated areas in a
keep-together area.  Keep-with-previous on formatting object A becomes a
keep-together area spanning the first non-blank normal area leaf node,
L, generated by A or its offspring, and the last non-blank normal area
leaf node preceding L in the area tree.  Likewise, keep-with-next on
formatting object A becomes a keep-together area spanning the last
non-blank normal area leaf node, L, generated by A or its offspring, and
the first non-blank normal area leaf node following L in the area tree.

The obvious problem with this arrangement is that the keep-together area
violate the hierarachical arrangement of the layout tree.  They form a
concurrent structure focussed on the leaf nodes.  This seems to be the
essential problem of handling keep-with-(previous/next); that it cuts
across the naturally tree-structured flow of processing.  Such problems
are endemic in page layout.

In any case, it seems that the relationships between areas that are of
interest in keep processing need some form of direct expression,
parallel to the layout tree itself.  I have yet to examine inline
relationships or the problem of changes in block-progression-direction,
but just looking at the simple block stacking cases, you get a diagram
like the attached PNG.  In order to track the relationships through the
tree, I think you need four sets of links.  The basic links are:

Leading edge to leading edge of first normal child.
Trailing edge to leading edge of next normal sibling.
Trailing edge to trailing edge of parent

Superimposed on the basic links are bridging links which span adjacent
sets of links.  These spanning links are the tree violators, and give
direct access to the areas which are of interest in keep processing.
 They could be implemented as double-linked lists, either within the
layout tree nodes or as separate structures.  Gaps in the spanning links
are joined by simply reproducing the single links, as in the diagram.
 The whole layout tree for a page is effectively threaded in order of
interest, as far as keeps are concerned.

The bonus of this structure is that it looks like a superset of the
stacking constraints.  It gives direct access to all sets of adjacent
edges and sets of edges whose space specifiers need to be resolved.
 Fences can be easily enough detected during the process of space
resolution.

I will be looking at what happens with changes of
block-progression-direction and the related structures for inline keeps.
 How does this gel with what other people are doing with keeps?

Peter

Re: Keeps and space specifiers

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Keiron,

That would be just a matter of associating a value with the keep.  The
main thing about the approach I outlined is to provide a structure which
allows keeps (and stacking constraints) to be expressed more readily.

Incidentally, speaking of min/opt/max values, my feeling is that, in a
look-ahead model, the initial layout should use optimum values only.
 Then, only if some layout infelicity or contradiction occurs, the
layout manager, wherever that sits in the process hierarchy, will start
probing the galleys for possible layouts in the minimum ior maximum
directions.  Which to try first will probably be heuristically
determined, based on the type of layout errors which can occur.  One of
the variables here will be the "strength" of keeps, but, as far as I can
tell, the weakest keep will only be discarded after the options implicit
in min/opt/max have been exhausted.  I haven't given any thought to any
of this, though.

Peter

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.