Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Damien Cooke <Da...@internode.on.net> on 2009/05/18 08:08:12 UTC

classpath issue ?

Hi All,
I have a perplexing classpath issue I think.  I am trying to run the
generateData.sh script from gridmix.  I get the following

Hysteria:gridmix damien$ ./generateData.sh
Hysteria:gridmix damien$ Mkdirs failed to create /volumes/backup-5/
cloud-data
Mkdirs failed to create /volumes/backup-5/cloud-data
Mkdirs failed to create /volumes/backup-5/cloud-data
Mkdirs failed to create /volumes/backup-5/cloud-data

Ok well I have seen this before.  If I add the class to the
HADOOP_CLASSPATH in the $HADOOP_HOME/conf/hadoop-env.sh this has fixed
this issue before.  However this time it has not.  So do the sanity
check and see if I can run the actual class below is the output:

Hysteria:Hadoop damien$ hadoop
org.apache.hadoop.examples.RandomTextWriter
randomtextwriter [-outFormat <output format class>] <output>
Generic options supported are
-conf <configuration file>     specify an application configuration file
-D <property=value>            use value for given property
-fs <local|namenode:port>      specify a namenode
-jt <local|jobtracker:port>    specify a job tracker
-files <comma separated list of files>    specify comma separated
files to be copied to the map reduce cluster
-libjars <comma separated list of jars>    specify comma separated jar
files to include in the classpath.
-archives <comma separated list of archives>    specify comma
separated archives to be unarchived on the compute machines.

The general command line syntax is
bin/hadoop command [genericOptions] [commandOptions]

Ok so this proves that the jar is in the classpath and the classes are
available. Cool so I try to run it from the jar again

Hysteria:Hadoop damien$ hadoop jar $HADOOP_HOME/hadoop-0.21.0-dev-
examples.jar randomtextwriter
Mkdirs failed to create /volumes/backup-5/cloud-data

mmm no joy.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Damien