Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io> on 2011/07/04 20:55:40 UTC

Stats for link pages

Hi,

Because most of the internet is garbage, i'd like not to index garbage. There
is a huge number of pages that consist just links and almost no text.

To filter these pages out i intend to build an indexing filter. The problem is
how to detect whether a page is considered a link page. From what i've seen
there should be a distinct ratio between amount of text and number of outlinks
to the same and other domains.

My question, has anyone come across literature on this topic? Or does someone
already has such an ratio defined?

Thanks!

Re: Stats for link pages

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Thanks again. If there are more pages to look at, please post them if you know
any.

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17

Re: Stats for link pages

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
On Jul 5, 2011, at 3:05am, Alexander Aristov wrote:

> In that article author uses approach when he extracts text (with links),
> splits whole text into chunks (by strings in the simpliest case or by
> paragraph) and then compares chunks with a number of links or grabge text.
>
> You can take these figures as input and discard a page if the ratio is not
> good.

Boilerpipe does something similar, in deciding when to include or discard a block of text.

See the DensityRulesClassifier class. Descriptive text is:

>  * Classifies {@link TextBlock}s as content/not-content through rules that have
>  * been determined using the C4.8 machine learning algorithm, as described in the
>  * paper "Boilerplate Detection using Shallow Text Features", particularly using
>  * text densities and link densities.

So one approach would be to (a) add a new class that implements BoilerpipeFilter, with the logic you need, and then (b) expose the ability in Nutch to configure Boilerpipe to use this new class.

-- Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378