Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Greg Boulter <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/05 23:22:31 UTC

Re: [Nutch-general] Re: project vitality?

Hi,

I think that this is my first post. I follow the mailing list and read as
many of the emails as I can.

I'm going to make a few proposals.
I have obtained some money to spend on them.
I use and get paid for my nutch expertise.
I have some experience.
I don't just speak for myself but also for some people who use nutch now,
have a commercial interest in nutch and who will contribute money to the
effort.
This money is not a great deal but it could both escalate and become
ongoing.
I sympathize with the people who are (with no offense to any "side", if
there really is one) the "complainers".
I am grateful to the coders.
I can and do make code improvements to nutch for my own uses that nobody
ever sees.
I have a web interface (sort of), and many other tools that work with nutch,
from maps to communication with nutch via telephone.
I expect to gain from my association with nutch although how I can't really
put my finger on yet.
I wouldn't say that I'm frustrated - I'd describe it more as a feeling of
hope mixed with helplessness and despair.
I think the moment is almost gone.
I"m old and scatterbrained and don't spell check or reread before I post.
I will elaborate as soon as I see this on the list - but I don't like to
type until I know what I have to deal with, I have about 3000 emails a day
to sift through and I have so many email addresses I've signed up for that I
never really know whether I'm going to hit the wrong list or something or
whatever.

Greg.

RE: [Nutch-general] Re: project vitality?

Posted by Richard Braman <rb...@bramantax.com>.
I'll take part in your forum. Just added first post.

#1 in MSN, Google and Yahoo and one person posted there one day. I know
there are other efforts too but if they have any good discussions about
relevant topics I'm unaware of them.

I agree that the people doing the coding shouldn't have to read this and
so obviously I'm proposing a nutch forum with myself for example (could
be others too) as a moderator. At least I have a history and it is
decent. Were-here.com is back up now - bought by a corporation and
maintained as a learning resource to the Flash community  but I don't
post there much and that is because I resented my hundreds if not
thousands of hours of painstakingly trying to give back to "the
community" by being complete, coherent, etc lost because whoever
happened to have the "luck" of owning the forum decided that oh well,
see you around, I'm going to work for Microsoft, or whatever. I still
resent it even if some corporation knew that they could garner enough
good will by buying the forum and restoring the posts/knowlege base.

So, what I've done is pick "Moodle" - an open source php learning
system, which has a forum and I've decided that I'll attempt to start a
useful forum and that what I'll do is every week or two make the forum
sql dump available so if I ever decide that I don't care about anyone or
I get snapped up by Google any knowlege will live on. Moodle is being
developed by teachers, the people I'd trust to do things right (except
for librarians - check out the open source library software that
librarians write for an example of a dominant open source effort). So I
assume that any forum posting will be long-lived and "free".

I've also decided to pay for posts - the surest way for a
forum/community to not get started is by there being no posting
activity. So, I arranged to get posts paid for. I'm not sure yet how
much is reasonable but I started off figuring that a few dollars for a
well thought out question and 20 -100 dollars for a reasonably
comprehensive answer might be alright. Also, I've arranged for some
hosting space for people who want to make search engines but don't have
the resources. I have a few dedicated servers and unique IP addresses
and the like for people who will share their experiences. I don't know
what is reasonable to pay but I have arranged some funding and resources
albeit with conditions.

Also there are other things that normally cost money as well as I'll
give support to people who want to use the "web interface" that I've
been working on and if somebody else has an idea that needs a little
money well right now the people that I've set up with older not so up to
date nutch search engines are becoming desperate to get the stuff I told
them would be available to them. These aren't people who want billion
page indexes spread over 10 separate beowulf clusters - they're just
people who thought they could spend a few hundred and get some
additional functionality out of open source software. That being what I
do mostly, set up and integrate open source software for people who have
reasonable goals. I'm old now and not as competitive as I once might
have been.

Anyway, I agree this discussion should go off list - if anyone cares to
go to http://www.nutchforum.com I will discuss/help/be helped there.
Thanks again to the people who work on nutch.

Greg.

Re: [Nutch-general] Re: project vitality?

Posted by Greg Boulter <gr...@hotmail.com>.
Hello again.

[...]

nobody says anything. I have the name "nutchforum.com" and am #1 in MSN,
Google and Yahoo and one person posted there one day. I know there are other