Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Phil Welch <Ph...@worldnet.att.net> on 2000/04/10 14:46:44 UTC

tomcat/php4/ozone/solaris/etc

Folks,

I'm just getting aboard with tomcat and a lot of the other assocated technologies and wonder if I could impose on some of you folks that seemingly are much farther down the road than I am?

Firstly, I fired up a recent version of tomcat on solaris and it seems to be working just fine.  I want data base capabilities and am not sure what the best direction would be.  I'm on a hosted site which provides Apache, mySQL, php3, etc., and I use mySQL very heavily, but thought I'd give some of the Java data bases a whirl.  The one that seemed most interesting was ozone, which I fired up last night, but still need to work out some of the kinks (I need to use ports above 10000, but although I change the configuration files, it keeps changing them back, so I've got a bit of sleuthing to do).

With that as a backdrop, what's the deal with php4?  The http://www.php.net site seems to be inoperative and I have yet to find a php4 / Solaris version (with or without mySQL).  Any thoughts as to whether tomcat and mySQL would be a good combination; or perhaps tomcat and ozone?  What can I do with php4, with or without mySQL support, using tomcat that would make it worth making the additional effort?

Any thoughts along these lines would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Phil Welch