Posted to dev@empire-db.apache.org by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> on 2022/01/13 14:39:30 UTC

re: Add Postgres JSON and JSONB datatype support

Dear Ralf,

sorry, for not being able to reply to your request earlier.
I am sorry to confirm that Empire-db indeed has no support for Postgres JSON datatypes yet.

As we rely on community contributions someone with knowledge of the Postgres JSON datatypes has to implement it.
Personally I am not using Postgres but rather Oracle and SQL-Server, so I cannot help out here myself.

However I would certainly be able to assist anyone who is willing to integrate it to Empire-db in order to donate the code to the general public.
The first step would be to extend existing classes in order to perform a query and return the result.

The Oracle driver (DBDatabaseDriverOracle) e.g. provides a good example on how to extend the DBCommand class for additional database specific features (see DBCommandOracle).
Then one can also override the method getResultValue() in DBDatabaseDriver for special value processing.
However it might be necessary to extend the DataType enum.

Please do understand that were all voluntarily working on this project in our spare-time and that we are relying on new Committers to advance our projects.
See https://community.apache.org/contributors/

So if you're interested in advancing Empire-db and If you want to add JSON datatypes then please let us know and we're happy to assist.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Rainer

from: Ralf Eichinger <ra...@gmail.com>
sent: Thu, 30. Dec 2021 14:34
to: user@empire-db.apache.org
subject: Add Postges JSON and JSONB datatype support

When looking into https://github.com/apache/empire-db/tree/master/empire-db source code I can not find any support for JSON/JSONB datatype.
The CodeGenParser https://github.com/apache/empire-db/blob/37f71f149064e69597d74c5f9a2c9f46ddded97d/empire-db-codegen/src/main/java/org/apache/empire/db/codegen/CodeGenParser.java#L501 does not support it either.

Please add support for JSON and JSONB columns of Postgres.
See https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-json.html