Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io> on 2017/03/29 17:00:14 UTC

More detailed Geode Modularization proposal

Hi there Guys,

A more detailed proposal for a more modular Geode is available. Please
review and comment, either on this thread or on confluence.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Geode+Modularization+-+An+approach

Udo

Re: [gemfire-dev] More detailed Geode Modularization proposal

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
I remember one of the issues we hit with OSGI is that geode-core needs to
be able to instantiate internal classes of other modules in order to
deserialize them. Is that something that is going to be an issue with jboss
modules? All of the documentation on classloaders for jboss modules is
blank in their documentation - https://docs.jboss.org/author/
display/MODULES/Class+loaders.

Is using jboss modules going to break simple use cases of declaring a
dependency on geode in maven or gradle and starting a geode client or peer
embedded in an existing application? How are these modules actually
bundled?

-Dan

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
Hi William,

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.
At the rate Java 9 keeps getting pushed back I don't think it's a viable
option. JBoss Modules implements many of the same features as it pertains
to our needs and works in Java 8 and 9. From what I recall from years back
the spec for jigsaw was mostly lifted from JBoss Modules, so it won't be a
hard task to transition to jigsaw after Java 10 roles out. ;)

Posted by William Markito Oliveira <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jared Stewart <js...@pivotal.io>.