Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/01 10:32:06 UTC

Re: ESME in Commercial Products

Hi,

When ESME is released (which is our main priority right now), this
will happen based on the Apache License, which allows it to be used in
commercial products - see http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.

At the moment, there are a few files in the ESME source code that have
more restrictive licenses that do not allow them to be redistributed
in an Apache release. We are currently in the process of fixing this
issue.

If you want, you can use ESME code right now for testing or any other
purposes, but our SVN might occasionally contain code with more
restrictive licenses than the Apache License, which will be cleaned up
before the release.

D.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I'm assuming that such differences are covered by the Apache License itself....

The Apache License (AL) allows you to redistribute code as part of a
closed product if you want, without requiring you to tell the ASF
about that, or force you to contribute patches back or to open your
software, nothing like that.

I even saw someone sell the complete source code of the Apache HTTP
server as a printed book a while ago, as the surefire way to find out
everything about it. As silly as that is, it is perfectly legal w.r.t
the AL, so if you can find silly people to buy your silly stuff (or
much better, good people to buy your good stuff) the AL gives you lots
of freedom.

-Bertrand

Re: ESME in Commercial Products

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

Posted by Sig Rinde <si...@rinde.com>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Uday Subbarayan
<ud...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Richard. This helps. What is the time-frame for code clean up and the clean release?

ASAP. Weeks not months....

 After our presentation this evening, we'll all return to cleaning up
the code and preparing for the release.

D.