Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/30 08:12:28 UTC

[RT] My Flex journey.

Greetings all,

I'm new to the Apache Flex community and I'm very much interested in
Flex as it goes.
Hope everyone would be patient enough with me :D.

Since everything is new I would like to gather/learn as much information
as I can.
Though I have read articles regarding Flex, I wanted to start from a
clean mind of Zero Knowledge.
So that I won't be affected of any information I know.

Q: Where to begin? (How to become a Flex Developer).

Any inputs are welcomed.

Kiel S. Sinfuego

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

On 4/4/2012 7:00 PM, Martin Heidegger wrote:
> Depends on the item/idea.
>
>   General Questions might go best on stackoverflow.
>   Questions related to flex go on this mailing list.
>   Put code ideas unrelated to Flex on github and your twitter accont ;)
>   Put code ideas related to Flex on github and on let us know with
> this mailinglist
>   You can discuss non-code ideas for flex in this mailinglist too.
>
> yours
> Martin.

Experiencing github was like...

For example my Idea on [Wiki] is
     Add `[Website] Discussion related to the Website`, this still needs
to be discussed in the mailing list.

Other:

While waiting for Mustella we are allowed to create any component we can
think of
     If we would like to create a component similar to github with the
id of `slider`.
     Does this go to [Jira] as Improvement?

During my search I stumbled upon away3D.
     If we were to integrate their existing components to Flex, adding
3D capabilities.
     This will be on [Proposal]?

Regards,

Kiel

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 04/04/2012 19:25, Kiel wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Still writing some Flex code.

awesome :)

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Still writing some Flex code.

Question:
     In case I have some Items( Not Framework / Code ) or Ideas. That I
would like to add to the community.
     Where do I place this? Wiki or Apache Flex website?

Regards,
Kiel

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> What's the next step? Where to go from here?
Write some Flex code!

There a huge amount of resources out there. Here's a couepl to get you started:
- Adobe's Flex development centre [1] is a good place to start.
- Tour de Flex [2] is also a great resource that includes a large amount of sample code.
- If you looking for a book on Flex I'd recommend the "training form the source" Flex books while it a little out of day it a good step by step introduction to how to code in Flex. Try and get your hands on the Flex 4 or 4.5 version.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex.html
2. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex.html

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Thanks for JP in pointing out that I can chose from these 3 tools mainly:

     [1]http://www.adobe.com/products/flash-builder.html
<http://www.adobe.com/products/flash-builder.html>
     [2]http://fdt.powerflasher.com/
     [3]http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

And Alain for the Eclipse + GWT Plugin also Nick for the Reference.

Having familiarized with the tools and idea around Flex technology.

Question:

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.
Hmm Yeah then we must have a different interpretation  of what a Flex
Application is .

To me a  Flex applicaton is an application running inside the  Flash player
(in the future maybe as native JS ) and leveraging the Flex API  regardless
of the input language or  framework used to create it.

I did nt know that it has to be written in AS3/MXML/CSS to be called  Flex
application.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.
"Yes: ActionScript 3 is fundamental."

Hi Martin,

While i recommend  Flex devs  to learn ActionScript. ActionScript is not
mandatory to buil Flex applications. Based on a customer request a couple
of years ago we create Flex4j (Flex for  Java it is) That allows Java
developers to write Flex application entirely in Java  using  GWT (No
ActionScript required)

A demo can be found here : http://www.gwt4air.appspot.com/
The entire application is written in Java and contains a lot of demos. You
can also hit the the source button to see how the code looks like.

We opensourced the product  sometimes ago  http://emitrom.com/gwt4flex and
it has been a great success since then.

Greats,

Alain

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 30/03/2012 17:18, Kiel wrote:
> Hi Martin & Alain,
> 2. Should I be concerned of the technologies that are `on-top-of-Flex`
> if I focused on developing `for Flex`.

I'd say, no.

There is just so much one can learn. It might open Pandora's box if you
try knowing all about those tools as well :)

yours
Martin.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.
And if we want to use Java as your input language.
simpy use Eclipse with the GWT plugin for free :) .
(That s another reason why we went the GWT route by the way).

No matter which route you take. You will love Flex.
Best thing out there when it comes to RIA.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by JP Bader <jp...@zavteq.com>.
Kiel,

> [...]

>> Git and a web browser :-). If you are working with code it makes your life
>> easier if you use a IDE/Texteditor with support for the particular language.
>>
>>  The compiler (that makes .swf/.swc files out of  AS3/MXML/CSS) is written
>> in Java and you need a Java Development Kit (JDK) for it. If you want to
>> improve it you need to know Java.
>>
>>  The libraries (that allow to show buttons and alike) are written in
>> ActionScript 3. You need the SDK's compiler to compile those classes. There
>> are various SDK's for ActionScript.
>>
>>  The documentation (that shows up in the generated docs) is written using
>> asdoc annotation (another java tool from the SDK) in ActionScript files and
>> those are mixed with XML files.
>>
>> Flex further uses build scripts (code that generates various parts of the
>> SDK). They are written in ANT (a java based tool, not part of the SDK).

JP Bader
Principal
Zavteq, Inc.
@lordB8r | jp@zavteq.com
608.692.2468

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin & Alain,

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin & Alain,

Good Answer.

Then I need to decide. Ok, I decided to go `for Flex`.

With this I have established a realization.
     ActionScript 3 is Fundamental in developing applications `with
Flex` and/or in developing `for Flex`.
     Flex4j (Flex for Java) can be also be used in developing
applications `with Flex`
     There are a lot of technologies `on-top-of-Flex`.

Another question:
1. What tools do I need to get started in developing `for Flex`
2. Should I be concerned of the technologies that are `on-top-of-Flex`
if I focused on developing `for Flex`.

[Note]
To avoid confusion with the `with Flex` or `for Flex`
`with Flex` will be using Flex as an application for the Flash Platform.
`for Flex` will be improving Flex as a Framework.

--
Kiel

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Kiel <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

This would be my First turning point. Seems to be a difficult question...

But I need to ask what could be the differences between the two?

Regardless of my decision am I correct in saying that,
     `ActionScript` is a fundamental requirement for me to progress.

- Kiel

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Hello Kiel,

Re: [RT] My Flex journey.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I'm the kind of guy who like to read, while learning...

I'd suggest the Adobe Flex -- Training from the Source book.  It is
slightly dated now, but it will get you going quickly.  Both of listed
authors are contributers to Apache Flex.
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Flex-4-5-Fundamentals-Training/dp/0321777123/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333119020&sr=8-3

-Nick