Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Mesut Can Gürle <me...@comu.edu.tr> on 2009/03/29 15:11:43 UTC

GSoC 2009 tuscany-jpa-extension approval

Hi,
I prepare my proposal for the tuscany-jpa-extension project and apply
this project. Can you read my proposal and critise. What do you think
about my proposal? Which ways have weakness.

Here is my proposal
- ---------------------------------
Abstract:
Using of Java 5 advanteges mostly using anotations in source code.
Using of anotations makes the programmer do not take cafe of xml
configuration files. And anotations take advantage of run time. In run
time anotations are used to seem like configured xml configuration
files. In persistence I have been using OpenJPA for 1 year. And
generating entities from tables in database is easy. OpenJPA project
will drive us how to do this job. An entity class must be put into xml
configuration file(which file will be the entity) and an anotated pojo
like @Entity, @Id, @GeneratedValue, @Column must be inserted. And
Entity Manager classes run entities using named queries. While
building manager classes @NamedQuery anotation would be added to
entity class and manager class will do the job. Manager classes would
include getXXX,createXXX etc methods. Some additional methods must be
covered like creating an entity and follow the entitiy's lifecyle.
Also manager beans must use transaction issues. Manager beans must be
generated a tool. And selecting the entity classes. Some special
namedqueries can be added by coder. For coding must be an interface to
manage Entity and Manager classes.
Content:

Title/Summary:tuscany-jpa-extension

Generating entity and manager classes via a tool makes the
programmer's easily interact with the persistence layer. orm.xml and
persistence.xml files will be used to configure the persistence. And
also a database connection must be added to configuration file. This
usage will be so easy with the tool which I would develop. And also
using OpenJPA to interact with the persistence layer can be used or
simulated. I will develeop an entity class generator from a database
table. This class can also be used by hardcoding or generated manager
classes. Also generating Entity Manager classes will drive this
entities via namedqueries.

Student: Mesut Can Gürle

Student e-mail:mesutcang@comu.edu.tr

Student Major:Computer Science

Student Degree:Highest degree in classes. Honor student.

Student Graduation:this is my 4th(last) year in my school. I will
graduate this June but I will be free untill October-2009 because of
military obligation.

Organization:Apache Software Foundation

Assigned Mentor: Luciano Resende

Time-zone

    * GMT +2 Istanbul,Turkey
    * Development cycle

    * Generating entity classes from database (~ .4 week)
    * Generating entity manager classes to drive entities (~ .5 week)
    *implement a tool to generate entity and manager classes.. (~ 2 week+)
    *test the implementation (~ .3 week)
    *thoroughly document the implementation. (~ .3 week)

Deliverables

    *Must-have
          oCan created usable entity and manager classes. And prepare
xml configuration files for the classes.
    * Should-have
          oA tool for generating entity and manager classes.
    *Wanna have
          oAccessing XML databases.

Preliminary planning

Coding officially begins at April the 1st, and ends around August the
10th, which allows for 10 weeks of dedicated work. The rest of time
will be used for testing and documentattion.

    * before: Get to know the project, the project-members, and get
familiar with the code-base.
    *week 1-5 : Development cycle to implement entity classes.
    * week 5-10 : Development cycle to implement entity-manager classes.

Biography

I am in my last year in Computer Science in COMU(www.comu.edu.tr). I
will graduate as high honor student with best degree in my class.

I have programming experience in java j2ee,java ee5 jsp jsf
xml,xsd,xslt as IBM contest project(www.yazilimakademisi.org). This
contest will be end at 1st April. We use OpenJPA for the project.

I have been working at My school's Information Head Office as a
part-time student for 2 years. In Head office we serv all services
(http,dns,mail,dhcp,mysql,some depositories for linux distros such as
Debian, Pardus etc.
    * I have fimiliar with open source for 4 years. I make packages
for Pardus Linux distribution and I am in the test team of it. And I
helped debian-tr mailing list to Turkish people.
    * I use Linux for servers, Desktop computers and my laptop. On
servers we prefer Debian. On desktop we support Pardus Linux so we use it.
    * I generally write codes in Python and Java. I have experience
with Python for 3 years and have experience in Java for 2 years.
    * I have localized some documents from English to Turkish.

Finally

I will create a blog for this project and will prepare weekly reports
to the community. I will work though the plan. And have interaction
with the mentor and community. I know c/c++,python java and have
worked with mysql,postgresql and db2

- --------------------

Please write your ideas about my proposal.

- --
Best Regards,
Mesut Can Gürle

Re: GSoC 2009 tuscany-jpa-extension approval

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Mesut Can Gürle

   While your project idea looks interesting and good, it differs from
our original idea described in [1].

   Generating entity and entity manager classes via a tool would be
more suitable to Apache openJPA, and wouldn't help much Tuscany at the
moment. Having said that, I'm more then happy to help and review a
proposal based on a Tuscany component type as described in [1]. If you
really want to stick with this proposal, you might want to contact the
OpenJPA dev list and discuss with them.

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+implementation.jpa

--
Luciano Resende