Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Corey Lundon <co...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/30 06:15:27 UTC

html form code & name value pair example

Hi I need some help using HttpClient
I would love an example of a form and the corresponding name value pairs needed.
Your tutorial talks about some sun site with a form that i can't even get to.

I have a form that uses a button type that executes a javascript and then in turn redirects you to another site

there is only one field ... a password field
so i was thinking i only need one name value pair for it
but i can't seem to get past the login page

do i need a name value pair for the button press and if so what would it consist of

your tutorial has lots of name value pairs
an action, url, username, and password

also you talk about only way to see if log on was correct is to check cookie
my html form doesn't use cookies as far as i know
it is just a form with a field for password
you hit button which runs a javascript function
and if password is correct you go to new site
i was just trying to check status code for a redirection status code
or maybe i could just getResponseAsString and see if i am on the right site

---------------------------------

Re: html form code & name value pair example

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Corey Lundon wrote:
> Oleg, Thanks for the reply.
> yes i have looked at that beginners link
> examples just help me learn.  I can see the NameValue pairs used in the tutorial.
> I was just curious as to the form you were directing them to.
> I can't seem to find where you are trying to log in at developer.java.sun.com.

I wrote that example 5 years ago. Things must have changed.

> this is the javascript function and form i am using.
> I can just make a get request to page2.html but that just bypasses the whole login.
> I want to simulate filling out the form.
> Can you help me understand what NVPairs i would need to do this.
> I thought i would just need one for the password.  is it not that simple?
>
> function pasuser(form) {
> if (form.pass.value=="123456") {
> location="page2.html"
> } else {
> alert("Invalid Password")
> }
> }
>
> <form method="POST" >
> <center>
> type="password"></td></tr>

> I am just using this simple script for my index.html page

This all looks very wrong to me. HttpClient is not a browser. It cannot
execute Javascript. Why don't you put together a simple webapp that uses
form based authentication and run it in Tomcat?

Oleg

.  I know it is very insecure.  I am starting small to try to grasp
using HttpClient correctly.

Posted by Corey Lundon <co...@yahoo.com>.
Oleg, Thanks for the reply.
[...]

I am just using this simple script for my index.html page.  I know it is very insecure.  I am starting small to try to grasp using HttpClient correctly.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.