Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org> on 2017/04/24 16:36:03 UTC

NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

All,

I have been reviewing different static site generators for a good bit. I have also been reviewing the current NB site structure and content/files. I have also been working on this document in the Wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning>

I give reasonings for static site generator choices as well as some context on things reviewed/studied. Notice I’m suggesting JBake as a starting point along with a Gradle build which can fill in some preprocessing gaps. I’m also starting to work on a plan for using it to get the current site moved over; have to start some where.

I bring this up to have a conversation about it if needed, and then finally after that, to vote to make sure we have made some decisions. I think if nobody has an issue with using JBake as a starting point as mentioned in the document, then we could have a vote on it soon/immediately, and then later the plan or options.

To come up with a full on plan takes writing some scripts as mentioned in the document, and trying out some things with Groovy and JSoup at the moment, so not super trivial, but not really hard either, but does take time. Then, once some tools for conversion which will be needed no matter the SSG choice are in place, we can generate a sub-set of what is on netbeans.org <http://netbeans.org/> merged with what Christian Lenz has already started for the new site.

This will be working with the Oracle folks (mainly Gj) to get the files over to Apache as part of the donation, but moving them over into this structure to be statically generated by automation at some point, but initially manually and pushed by an individual albeit running the tools (still simpler and less time consuming). I’m hoping the scripts I mentioned make this easier, and is what I’m focusing on now to get together a subset for demonstration.

I’m also working on setting up a Salon for my wife’s business at the moment, so a lot of different pots on the fire at the moment, so please be patient, but it will be soon.

Thanks much, and look forward to input and discussion,

Wade

Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM Bernd Ruehlicke <
bernd.ruehlicke@eriksfiord.com> wrote:

> Just my 5 cents:  We cannot afford to split the community. All
> users/developers should be using netbeans.apache.org as primary point of
> entry. As now, there should be an area for IDE and one for the Platform.
> Having both will allow users to possible explore new things they else
> never would see.

In my view I'd say the opposite.  Losing the netbeans.org domain for the
primary user facing links would be a mistake in my opinion, given the huge
number of inbound links out there (yes, I know we can redirect, but it
doesn't mean we should).  Having a site focused purely on development of
the IDE and platform at netbeans.apache.org as required doesn't mean we'd
split the community.  Lots of organisations use multiple sub-domains /
domains for different purposes - the key is to integrate the layout/design
so that people can easily find what they're looking for, with header links
back-and-forth, etc.  OpenOffice roughly has this approach by the look of
it.

My 5 cents.  I'm old enough to remember when it was 2 cents.  Inflation's a
killer! ;-)

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Awesome. Write it up, looking forward to trying it all out. Moving the
tutorials and any relevant content over is a trivial matter, as I've
discovered today -- though these other matters you describe need to be
resolved first, the sooner the better.

Gj

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

I suggest we work on the document here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/New+NetBeans+Web+Site+Planning>

Re: Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Aw: Re: NetBeans Apache Site Static Site Generator and Plan; Discussion

Posted by Christian Lenz <Ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Bernd Ruehlicke <be...@eriksfiord.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
http://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart.html

As a small temporary proof of concept experiment, I have copied the
NetBeans Quick Start tutorial in the above location.

Here's the original location on netbeans.org:

https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart.html

Now I understand better what I think we mean about the static site
generator etc, i.e., there's navigation and headers and footers and so on
that are currently missing in the netbeans.apache.org version of the
tutorial compared to the original.

The question is also whether netbeans.apache.org is going to be the same as
netbeans.org. I.e., will netbeans.apache.org be for Apache NetBeans
developers only or also for Apache NetBeans users, will it contain only
technical documents for developing NetBeans itself or will it also host
tutorials for NetBeans end users?

The same structure as at netbeans.org can be rebuilt at netbeans.apache.org,
that's something I can do after the documentation has officially been
donated as part of the 1st code donation.

Thoughts welcome.

Gj

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
OK, maybe it got stripped out.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

netbeans.org, doesn't that means that the tutorials will be at netbeans.org

Posted by Christian Lenz <Ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I'm arriving late some maybe I've missed this but: do we have the raw
NetBeans website content somewhere?

I mean, I could run a recursive wget, but I assume they are not all static
HTML pages, no? There is some CMS on NetBeans servers that stores only the
body without the headers, footers, etc. Do we get a dump of that CMS?

--emi

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 27, 2017, at 07:26, Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:08 PM Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>
> wrote:>
>
>>> I want to know if ssg can also help maintaining the site. (a bit of
>> NetCAT view)
>>> Assuming I can tag tutorial to precise netbeans version i.e. Netbeans
>> 8.1, and that I build the site setup that current release is Netbeans 8.2
>> can ssg log that tutorials are not reviewed  for release 8.2?
>>> others warning, linkcheck …
>>
>> This would be some post processing which can be built in a Gradle build or
>> by way of custom code or contributions. Were this Jekyll, then it would be
>> custom Ruby plugins
>>

> Personally I'll be surprised if we *need* custom plugins.  Having had more
> of a flick through the docs for Thymeleaf, I'd say Liquid and Thymeleaf
> seem very similar in functionality available (the syntax of Thymeleaf does
> look appealing for editing).  The above scenario should be pretty simple to
> achieve without custom plugins.  Of course, plugins may sometimes make
> things *nicer* to work with.

I caution folks against thinking the SSG template is the end all be all. Link checking is a process separate from static site issues, in that something needs to work through the site verifying links, building a report of broken ones, and placing it some where which may be shown by the SSG just as an example, so different use cases and concerns, and is where Gradle and its many plugins plus Groovy scripts or tests (Geb specifications) can come in really handy.

> One thing that should be considered, and may need a plugin or some thought,
> is media management, and specifically image (re)sizing.  We're actually
> using Imgix on out Jekyll client sites to automatically resize/crop images,
> or serve responsive images to different devices.  Having image sizes
> defined in one Liquid/Thymeleaf is very useful!  Now, we might not want to
> use a resizing image proxy, so a plugin might come into play here.
> However, there are a number of open-source image proxies too.  I don't know
> whether this feature is built into or has been considered for Apache
> hosting, but it would seem a nice-to-have across Apache projects.

Indeed, but yes, we could do this as a post processing for the SSG with a Gradle plugin (or task with some local CLI) as an example, and then use CSS media for the cases it is a style related graphic. Another approach is to crop and build those while images are being made as well unless different sizes need to be made. Or, yes, a 3rd party service, but certainly that type processing, local or dynamic, has its own drawbacks in some cases where the image can not just be fit or cropped to fit, the screen, but needs more attention, and is where folks using the system need to understand it. Just putting out another cautionary tale about such tools, just so those not familiar are clear.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,
 Ok if I get it right, with some kind of plugging we will do we may have the customisation we want for outputting a page.

 The linkcheck was a misleading example (but this is maybe kind of tool we may need anyway), I will try to explain better my vision.

I may create a page with a marking language with a link to an issue like that:
  [[http://netbeans.org/Bugzilla/issue#23]Issue23]

But with create some plugin to allow a shortcut for making possible to add a lot more of html around and css class...
 [macroissue[23]]

So the point now is does ssg allow parsing of the "source" during site build
to get the pattern http://netbeans.org/Bugzilla and generate a list of missing usage of macrosissue in a logfile somewhere on the continuous build server workspace ?
that’s would help building a coherent site step by step.

Same vision can maybe help getting list of tutorial compatible with current release by looking for metadata_headers ..

If all of the ssg tools in the list are able to process we will need to customize for our needs.

At the end, I personally would go for the jbake as it is java based.

Regards
Eric

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Interestingly Codename One is a friend of ours, they're part of the
NetBeans community, have a popular NetBeans plugin, etc.

Gj

Posted by Jason Lee <ja...@steeplesoft.com>.
For what it's worth, I use JBake to build my blog (which I won't link so
I don't look like I'm fishing for traffic ;). I have a Maven-based setup
for building and deploying (and I author/edit posts in NetBeans ;).
Quick and easy to use. It's all Java-based, so writing extensions and
submitting bug fixes doesn't require that I learn new tools and
languages (not that that's a problem, but I don't have time ATM). I
should also note that I'm a committer on JBake. :)

At any rate, I've been using JBake for quite a while now. It works well,
it's fast and easy, and, of course, static sites are fast and secure. :)

Posted by Steven Yi <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
The SSG tool doesn't really make your site look good. It allows you to
statically process assets. It is the processing and flexibility criteria
which matters here. Design makes a site look good.

I suggest we start down the road with one, and if it works, then probably
good enough for now as long as it matches the criteria, should be fine; of
course ignoring the bit about the Apache, Java, and NetBeans ecosystem.

From a feature perspective, along with Gradle, if we want SASS, then we can

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
On Apr 25, 2017 3:02 PM, "Neil C Smith" <ne...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Also, I think the arguments on the wiki page about Jekyll are somewhat
incorrect - it can do HTML,

The wiki page points that out about HTML.

doesn't really specify a structure

Yes, further reading suggests, its structure _site and _posts are not
necessary or are fluid.

and Liquid
is capable of a lot of logic (if not necessarily always nicely!).

Right, compared to Groovy and Thymeleaf, not really the same, as you are
locked into which ever filters, tags, and objects the environment provides,
unless you build extras or install them, and was the main difference I was
getting at. With a Gradle build, there can be subproject libs, other
plugins, plus JBake, and that is all able to access Java libs and the JDK.
That sounds pretty powerful.

One interesting difference is Jekyll allows Liquid in content, and JBake
only allows logic in the templates, but that doesn't sound limiting per
looking at what one would do for content itself as the main page layout
would come from the templates.

  One
feature that was useful to us that I'm not sure if JBake supports out of
the box (docs are ambiguous) is that a traditional static site is a valid
Jekyll site - ie. files without "front matter" are copied in place
verbatim.  This is useful for taking an existing static copy of a site and
upgrading it piecemeal.

Should be doable with the assets directory, as it is copied verbatim, but I
am hoping we don't do that as the branding will look rough.

And, yes, we'd want SASS surely!

I think so too, but should be doable with Gradle.

Having said all of the above - JBake looks really good, and not looked into
it much before.  If it really fits the skills available in this community
better then it might be a good fit -  IMO that's more important than the
technical merits.  I'm sure as hell not extending anything in Ruby. :-)

That was my point too; Java extensions are easy for this group. I get your
point on JBake not being what we are building, but the tool we are building
here (NB IDE) supports the templates JBake uses and the tech stack it is
written and runs on (unless NB Liquid support is added I guess). I suppose
the NB Ruby support could be started back up at Apache though :-D I
envision using the IDE to work on the site project.

I think it is worth noting using projects which use and promote sister
Apache projects is good too. I also have this vision of a dev tools track
at ApacheCon with NB as the IDE. Not this has to be part of that, but am
suggesting using the ecosystem supports and promotes it too; just as the
clojure site project can be referenced as using such tools per Steven's
reply.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:45 PM Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Let’s see what others say, and too what you and Emilian think about the
> above, and can go from there. I think either way we will have to create
> some scripts to do a little find tuning of the content to get it to fit
> into structures (front matter, snippets, templates etc), for which ever SSG
> we choose, and I know I can easily do that with Groovy and JSoup, but that
> doesn’t mean we can’t use various toolchains; I just thought JBake would
> fold nicely with those, and probably make some of it less complex
> initially, but that could be an incorrect assumption.

I completely understand that perspective, and it has a lot of merit.  My
concern I guess would be ensuring that whatever tech is chosen is a
sustainable project and this community has enough people with the
knowledge, or is likely to attract people with enough knowledge, to sustain
its usage.  To parallel a similar point I made at a hackspace I'm involved
in - this community's role is to work on NetBeans, not JBake. ;-)

I've used Jekyll quite a bit over the last ~18 months developing stuff for
clients.  My company needed something for clients that we could pitch for
those with simple sites where a traditional CMS wasn't justified, that we
could pitch as a sustainable tech, and one they weren't locked into us for
support.  All shipped with client editing via a headless CMS.  Not all of
that is relevant to us, but similar arguments might be valid.

Some links that might be interesting to look at are -
https://www.staticgen.com/ and https://headlesscms.org/ - not necessarily
accurate but gives some idea of the difference in usage.

Also, I think the arguments on the wiki page about Jekyll are somewhat
incorrect - it can do HTML, doesn't really specify a structure, and Liquid
is capable of a lot of logic (if not necessarily always nicely!).  One

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
Did you read the page along with the points on content input or using .html
files as content/pages/posts, and the criteria? I would like to take
something which can get off the ground with what we have, versus worry
about a tool soley because many use it; codenameone uses JBake as an
example, and Groovy rolls their own. Many use the others as well, and write
to github pages, but we are not using github pages, so not exactly the
reason. Also see the future section on evolution, and the options there.
JBake also supports Freemarker, Groovy, and Thymeleaf.

Thanks

Wade

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.