Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rick Beton <ri...@dsl.pipex.com> on 2002/09/26 01:04:00 UTC

PKCS Mime Types

Hi Guys n Gals,

I'm new to this list. Forgive me therefore if I seem to barge in! :-)

I was wondering about the mime.types configuration file. There are what
appear to me to be a couple of omissions thus:

application/x-pkcs7-certificates     p7b
application/x-x509-email-cert        pem, cer

because these extensions and Mime Types do seem to be in use. Microsoft
for example, use the .cer extension.

Regards,
Rick

Re: PKCS Mime Types

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> > I was wondering about the mime.types configuration file. There are what
> > appear to me to be a couple of omissions thus:
> >
> > application/x-pkcs7-certificates     p7b
> > application/x-x509-email-cert        pem, cer
> >

> > because these extensions and Mime Types do seem to be in use. Microsoft
> > for example, use the .cer extension.
> >
> hi Rick
> The only extensions which can go in the mime.types are IANA sanctioned ones.

Eh - IANA (see RFC 2048) does not saction extension; all what is
really required/registered are MIME type name and MIME subtype name.
Extensions are just a nice option.

A more correct (in my option) reason for not including the above is that
they start with an 'x-'; i.e. experimental/placeholder.

   Proposed media types are not formally registered and
   must not be used; the "x-" prefix specified in RFC 2045 can
   be used until registration is complete.

Mimetypes which -are- registered are

application/
	pkcs7-mime                                  [RFC2311]
	pkcs7-signature                             [RFC2311]
	pkcs10                                      [RFC2311]

which *suggests* the extensions .p7m/p7c, .p7s and .p10 respectively.

None is registered for x509.

Would it help to have the above official ones registered ? Or would that
just confuse things ?

Dw

Re: PKCS Mime Types

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Rick Beton wrote:
> Hi Guys n Gals,
>
> I'm new to this list. Forgive me therefore if I seem to barge in! :-)
>
> I was wondering about the mime.types configuration file. There are what
> appear to me to be a couple of omissions thus:
>
> application/x-pkcs7-certificates     p7b
> application/x-x509-email-cert        pem, cer
>

> because these extensions and Mime Types do seem to be in use. Microsoft
> for example, use the .cer extension.

hi Rick
The only extensions which can go in the mime.types are IANA sanctioned ones.

sorry ;(