Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2004/04/06 18:51:13 UTC

Re: Memo: whitespace character

In message <17...@webmail.xs4all.nl>, jdijkme
i@xs4all.nl writes:
>its not working because you r using a special character inside the set [],
>so it is recognized as the set (\, s) i think. Use either [ \\n\\f\\r\\t]
>or better, \\s (without the []).

All special backslashed characters except for backreferences and boundaries
work within character classes for the Perl classes.  As we discovered from
a later email he is not using the Perl classes.  That is why it really
helps to provide sample code that reproduces the problem and indicate which
version of the library you are using.

>String regex = "m/ISIN\\s[A-Z]{12}/";

That should work just fine (minus the m//) with the awk classes, even
though \s isn't standard awk.  The Perl-like special backslashed
characters are not supported inside a character class for the awk classes.
It's all deocumented at:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/api/org/apache/oro/text/awk/AwkCompiler.html

The Perl syntax is documented at:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/api/org/apache/oro/text/regex/package-summary.html