Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2012/10/04 12:29:20 UTC

Building against legally incompatible software on ASF infra

Hey,

Not sure if this should be taken to general@infra, or here, so please
correct me.

It has been suggested that we use build.a.o to prepare binary packages that
build against jars that are not compatible with our license. The specific
suggestion was to wget the jars from a non-ASF location, put them on the
CLASSPATH while the package is built, and then delete them. The package
itself will not contain any code, compiled or not, that is incompatible
with our license. But the incompatible code does need to be fetched at
build time, so the system can compile against it.

Is this okay?

NS

Re: Building against legally incompatible software on ASF infra

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
That's the way we're designing it, yep.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
The intention is to provide them as convenience builds that mirror our
source releases, and perhaps nightlies.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.