Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2015/01/12 02:42:01 UTC

Testing of jena-osgi bundle

Would anyone who is using OSGi and Jena be able to test the experimental
jena-osgi bundle?   I might have asked about this earlier, but have since
updated the patch.

The ZIP at

https://people.apache.org/~stain/jena-osgi-test-20150112/

includes both
jena-osgi-2.12.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

and the other required bundles (e.g. httpclient-osgi, jackson-core, ++)

Note that this email does not in any way form a release - the above is
based on the unreleased 'master' branch at Jena.

You can build it yourself by checking out my "jena-osgi-bundle" branch:

https://github.com/stain/jena/tree/jena-osgi-bundle

and build the jena-osgi/ module with "mvn clean install". The bundle JAR
would then be in the target/ folder.

See details about the Jena pull request below:

#10 <https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/10>

As commented there - it now includes a new module jena-osgi-test to
test it within Equinox and Apache Felix (two of the leading OSGi
frameworks).

The tests are run as part of the maven build - any failure would be
propagated out. It has to be in a separate module in order to test
calling from 'another' OSGi module.

Note that the test depends on the maven plugin

https://github.com/everit-org/eosgi-maven-plugin

This is licensed under LGPL. This is only used during the test/build
(of jena-osgi-test) - which I believe should be acceptable according
to:

https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited

Given these brief tests working (which cover jena-core, jena-arq and
jena-tdb), I would be comfortable to put it in, then wait for
feedback. Perhaps wait with promoting it on the website before we know
it works generally?

I tried putting it into Clerezza instead of their
org.apache.clerezza.ext.jena.* modules, but I am not knowledgeable
enough about how to get Clerezza started as an OSGi application..

If you want to copy-paste it into a running OSGi setup, then have a look in

jena/jena-osgi-test/target/eosgi-dist/felix/lib

as it would contain the bundles you need. Namely:

commons-csv-1.0.jar
commons-lang3-3.3.2.jar
httpclient-osgi-4.2.6.jar
httpcore-osgi-4.2.5.jar
jackson-annotations-2.3.0.jar
jackson-core-2.3.3.jar
jackson-databind-2.3.3.jar
jcl-over-slf4j-1.7.6.jar
jena-osgi-2.12.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
jsonld-java-0.5.1.jar
libthrift-0.9.2.jar
log4j-1.2.17.jar
slf4j-api-1.7.6.jar

You might not want this if you do slf4j in another way:

slf4j-log4j12-1.7.6.jar

You should not need these as they are only used for the testing:

org.ops4j.pax.tipi.junit-4.11.0.1.jar
jena-osgi-test-2.12.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.everit.osgi.dev.testrunner-4.0.3.jar
org.everit.osgi.dev.testrunner.junit4-3.0.4.jar
org.ops4j.pax.tipi.hamcrest.core-1.3.0.1.jar

—
<https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/10#issuecomment-69518840>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)

Re: Testing of jena-osgi bundle

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Stian,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Thanks for having a look!
>
> I don't have write access to the Jena snapshot repository and this is
> still an open pull request.
>

> It should however be here:
>

> http://repository.mygrid.org.uk/artifactory/simple/incubator-snapshot-local/
>
> to use it in Maven, add:
>
> <dependencies>
>     <dependency>
>         <groupId>org.apache.jena</groupId>
>         <artifactId>jena-osgi</artifactId>
>         <version>2.12.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <type>bundle</type>
>     </dependency>
> </dependencies>
>
> <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>taverna-incubating</id>
>       <name>Apache Taverna incubating Repository</name>
>         <url>
> http://repository.mygrid.org.uk/artifactory/incubator-snapshot-local/
> </url>
>       <releases>
>         <enabled>false</enabled>
>       </releases>
>       <snapshots />
>     </repository>
> </repositories>
>

> (hosted outside Apache because Taverna is freshly incubating and
> haven't got all the apache.org infrastructure set up yet)
>

> The other bundle dependencies should be pulled in by Maven, e.g.
> httpcore-osgi and jackson-core - you might want to check mvn
> dependency:tree for duplications with your own.
>

> As jena-osgi now includes the shadowed classes directly it can also be
> used as a compile dependency without ever needing jena-tdb etc.

I think this might be a problem for us. We provide launchers that do not
include TDB but still need some parts of jena (e.g. parsers, serializers,
arq). So all launchers include jena-iri, jena-core and jena-arq but the
virtuoso launcher does not include jena-tdb.

> (I deviated from the pattern of having the non-bundle dependencies
> listed as <scope>compile<scope> - as that means that any Maven users
> of jena-osgi would also get transitive non-bundle duplicate
> dependencies like httpclient-cache and jena-arq - or have to add a
> fragile  <exclusions> as I had to do for httpclient-osgi -- see
> https://github.com/stain/jena/blob/jena-osgi-bundle/jena-osgi/pom.xml#L117
> )
>

> For example usage in Maven, see
>
> https://github.com/stain/jena/blob/jena-osgi-bundle/jena-osgi-test/pom.xml#L37

I tried to get the dependencies from the first. But some vriables seem to
be inherited and jakckson is not there.

It would be really handy to have a (sling launchpad) partials-bundle-list
and/or a karaf feature with all the required dependencies bundles. Actually
that is what I was trying to do changing
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=clerezza.git;a=blob;f=provisioning/rdf.tdb/pom.xml;h=4565f118cffeb1d8e5352fce2c1f3ea26f88b443;hb=HEAD
to use your bundle.

> https://github.com/stain/jena/blob/jena-osgi-bundle/jena-osgi-test/src/main/java/org/apache/jena/osgi/test/JenaOSGITestImpl.java
>

> In clerezza, which modules do I need to build/run to make a runnable
> OSGi application? The standalone applications don't run within the
> OSGi framework as far as I could tell, e.g. platform.launcher.tdb
> says:

> > TDB variant of standalone java application for launching the
> clerezza.org platform. It is also a bundle, but there is no OSGi
> container known to support this (we are working on it :-) ).

well yes, this would make an executable jar (shich inluded felix as OSGi
container). But the newer approach is in the provisioning folder, e.g.
provisioning/launchers/full -launcher

> Perhaps if you get a clerezza branch configured correctly to use
> jena-osgi, but something still falls over, you could share it with me
> to try?

I pushed my experiments to a new jena-sogi branch. The easiest is to:

cd provisioning
mvn install
cd launchers/full-launcher
mvn antrun:run

and acces e.g. localhost:8080/admin/graphs

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Stian,