Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/30 22:08:31 UTC

T5 working with other frameworks

Hi,

My company has a rather large application written in a custom
framework similar to struts.  I have been messing around with Tapestry
5 and enjoying the ease of use it has to offer us.  I was thinking
about building new pages of the application using tapestry 5.

First of all is this a good idea with the current Tapestry 5.0.3 framework?

How difficult would it be for these two frameworks to coexist?

Would it be possible to include tapestry 5 pages within a jsp using
<jsp:include ../?>, and what would this entail?  The reason for this
is because I wouldn't really want to duplicate all the navigation code
within a Border page using tapestry at the moment.

Any thoughts comments concerns would be appreciated.

--
~chris

Re: T5 working with other frameworks

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the trick is for Tapestry 5 to not intercept requests that are
really meant for other servlets (such as .jsp files, or explicit
servlets).  This could be automatic if the servlet API provided the
necessary introspection APIs.  As is, T5 grabs everything, and it is
sees a struts like URL ("/login.do") it will interpret that as an
action event on component "do" of page "login", which will result in a
runtime exception when the page or component can't be found.

Actually, if there's no login page, then the URL will be passed off to
the default servlet.  But there's plenty of room for name collisions
between T5 and other servlets.

This was a conscious design decision, to build for the 90% or 99% case
(a single application inside a WAR), and make it virtually automatic.
When you deviate from this vision is where it gets more complicated.

The correct solution is to define a service & configuration to
identify resources that should not be handled by T5, in which case the
normal servlet will be invoked.

On 4/2/07, Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you expect it to "play nice" with other frameworks down the road?
>
> On 3/31/07, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At this stage, T5 will not play very nice with others; the fact that
> > it is a filter means that it will intercept and attempt to operate
> > upon URLs intended for your Struts/JSP application (this can be
> > avoided with a couple of service contributions, but still).
> >
> > It is possible for Tapestry (4) and JSP-based apps to interoperate,
> > with reasonable limitations. I don't know about jsp:include, more like
> > "after this form submits, jump to a JSP page" or "in this JSP page,
> > this link is to a Tapestry page".
> >
> > I may be biased, but to me the Struts/JSP side is "a bunch of actions
> > and views" and the Tapestry side is an actual application, with a real
> > structure to it.
> >
> > Remember, T5 is still alpha.
> >
> > On 3/30/07, Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My company has a rather large application written in a custom
> > > framework similar to struts.  I have been messing around with Tapestry
> > > 5 and enjoying the ease of use it has to offer us.  I was thinking
> > > about building new pages of the application using tapestry 5.
> > >
> > > First of all is this a good idea with the current Tapestry 5.0.3 framework?
> > >
> > > How difficult would it be for these two frameworks to coexist?
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to include tapestry 5 pages within a jsp using
> > > <jsp:include ../?>, and what would this entail?  The reason for this
> > > is because I wouldn't really want to duplicate all the navigation code
> > > within a Border page using tapestry at the moment.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts comments concerns would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > ~chris

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > TWD Consulting, Inc.
> > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
> > Creator, Apache HiveMind
> >
> > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

> ~chris

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.

Posted by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
At this stage, T5 will not play very nice with others; the fact that
it is a filter means that it will intercept and attempt to operate
upon URLs intended for your Struts/JSP application (this can be
avoided with a couple of service contributions, but still).

It is possible for Tapestry (4) and JSP-based apps to interoperate,
with reasonable limitations. I don't know about jsp:include, more like
"after this form submits, jump to a JSP page" or "in this JSP page,
this link is to a Tapestry page".

I may be biased, but to me the Struts/JSP side is "a bunch of actions
and views" and the Tapestry side is an actual application, with a real
structure to it.

Remember, T5 is still alpha.

On 3/30/07, Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My company has a rather large application written in a custom
> framework similar to struts.  I have been messing around with Tapestry
> 5 and enjoying the ease of use it has to offer us.  I was thinking
> about building new pages of the application using tapestry 5.
>
> First of all is this a good idea with the current Tapestry 5.0.3 framework?
>
> How difficult would it be for these two frameworks to coexist?
>
> Would it be possible to include tapestry 5 pages within a jsp using
> <jsp:include ../?>, and what would this entail?  The reason for this
> is because I wouldn't really want to duplicate all the navigation code
> within a Border page using tapestry at the moment.
>
> Any thoughts comments concerns would be appreciated.
>
> --
> ~chris

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.