Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jim Anderon <ji...@jjajava.com> on 2014/07/23 00:24:55 UTC

tutorial app cannot be installed and run

I am currently reading the book, "Struts 2 Design & Programming", by
Budi Kurniawan. The book gives a path to download
the examples used in the book and the author states that all of the
examples have been tested in tomcat6. I have downloaded
the examples, but there are no instructions on how to get the examples
to run.

I have installed an example from the book (app03a) into my tomcat7
webapps directory using the tomcat manager, and entered the URL,
http//localhost:8080/User_input.action and tomcat gives and error page:

*    type* Status report

*    message* _/app03a/User_input.action_

*    description* _The requested resource is not available.
_

When I look at the app03a application in the tomcat manager, it shows
that it is not running, unlike the struts2 tutorial applications that I
have running. Since it is not running, I'm not surprised that I cannot
access it through the URL.

When I deployed the struts2 tutorials, I ran 'mvn clean package' before
deploying with the tomcat manager. With app03a I could not run mvn and
instead I built a war file manually, using 'jar cf app03a.war css jsp
test.html WEB-INF' from the app03a
workspace. I then deployed the war file using the tomcat manager.

Under the app03a directory the structure is:

    css
          main.css
    jsp
          Author.jsp  Book.jsp  Error.jsp  Login.jsp  Menu.jsp
ProductDetails.jsp  ProductForm.jsp
     test.html
     WEB-INF
         web.xml
         classes:
             - Author.class
             - Book.class
             - Employee.class
             - Product.class
             - TestUser.class
             - User.class
             - struts.xml

         lib:
             asm-3.3.jar          commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar
freemarker-2.3.19.jar    ognl-3.0.6.jar
             asm-commons-3.3.jar  commons-io-2.2.jar
javassist-3.11.0.GA.jar  struts2-core-2.3.16.2.jar
             asm-tree-3.3.jar     commons-lang3-3.1.jar
log4j-1.2.17.jar         xwork-core-2.3.16.2.jar
         src:
              struts.xml
              app03a:
                 - Author.java
                 - Book.java
                 - Employee.java
                 - Product.java
                 - TestUser.java
                 - User.java

When I checked the catalina.out file, I found the stacktrace  which is
show in the attached 'catalina.out.excerpt' file.
Note that in my most recent app03a.war file, I included the .class files
in both the 'classes' directory and in the 'src/app03a' directory.

Can any help with getting this application installed correctly?  I'm
still experimenting trying to figure it out.

Regards,
Jim Anderson

Re: tutorial app cannot be installed and run

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Here you have answer:

Caused by: Action class [app03a.Product] not found - action -
file:/usr/share/apache-tomcat-7.0.54/webapps/app03a/WEB-INF/classes/struts.xml:24:60

which means your war is missing action class (or it is in wrong folder
not corresponding to package)

Regards
--
Ɓukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

RE: tutorial app cannot be installed and run

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:24:55 -0400
From: jim_anderson@jjajava.com
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: tutorial app cannot be installed and run

I am currently reading the book, "Struts 2 Design & Programming",
by Budi Kurniawan. The book gives a path to download

the examples used in the book and the author states that all of the
examples have been tested in tomcat6. I have downloaded

the examples, but there are no instructions on how to get the examples
to run.

I have installed an example from the book (app03a) into my tomcat7
webapps directory using the tomcat manager, and entered the URL,
http//localhost:8080/User_input.action and tomcat gives and error page:

    type Status report

    message /app03a/User_input.action

    description The requested resource is not available.

Unable to load configuration. - action - file:/usr/share/apache-tomcat-7.0.54/webapps/app03a/WEB-INF/classes/struts.xml:24:60

The action class referenced at LINE 24 of struts.xml cannot be loaded (you never deployed the action class
referenced at line 24 of struts.xml to /WEB-INF/classes

if you want easy to read step by step tutorials with complete working examples take a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Struts-Web-Application-Development/dp/1847193390

HTH
Martin