Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Santosh Kulkarni <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/11 09:25:05 UTC

Multiple instances of Tomcat

Hi,
I have multiple instances of Tomcat4.0.3, say, TC1,
TC2, TC3 running on different m/c's and all these are
talking to the same database. I have some application
objects stored in each instance. My requirement: When
I refresh an app object say app1 in TC1, I want to
refresh this object in TC2 and TC3 too. These app
objects store same data from the DB, but are specific
to that tomcat instance. How do I achieve this ?
Any pointers to this are highly appreciated.
TIA
Santosh

RE: Multiple instances of Tomcat

Posted by Rui Fernandes <ru...@entalpia.com>.
If you really need this you can do in very different ways.
A file can be generated by one instance saying I (TC1) refreshed.
All tomcats are checking from time to time (you specifiy) if there's this
new file.
When there's each tomcat must write its line (I TCi refreshed). The last one
deletes the file.

When say a file, it can be a table on database.
Or you can send an email from each tomcat refreshing to all you want to be
warned. Each tomcat would be checking on its mail box.

Or even easier you have a servlet responsible for refreshing the object in
each tomcat which receives the request for refreshing its object. Each
toncat would then call the corresponding servlet through redirect for
warning them.

you can do by SMS too lol

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Multiple instances of Tomcat

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Use Object Relational Bridge:

http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/

You can run it on a seperate system and use it to persist objects
for all three instance of Tomcat.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
The answer would depend upon what event, etc., is the occasion for the
"refresh[ing of] an app object".  If the objects store the same data,
sounds as if you really don't want multiple objects.  Do you mean Value
Objects?  You can do all this many, many, many different ways.  What do you
mean when you say you have the "application objects stored"?  You have a
common database but yet different storage for the application objects.  So,
you must mean something other than database storage.  What kind of
storage?  Serialized?  If you are serializiong three objects outside the
database with the identical features and need to "refresh" them to be the
same, why not just write them to the common database?  I probably don't
understand what you have in mind.  I like this problems that "sound like"
this though.