Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jo...@axis.com.au on 2000/10/26 06:38:34 UTC

Error when compiling

Hi,

I'm trying to get Ant running on WinNT.  With a pretty basic project
template I get an error when I run ant:

    [javac] Compiling 7 source files to
D:\home\work\merrill\dev\jruntest\build
    [javac] -sourcepath is an invalid option or argument.
    [javac] Usage: javac <options> <source files>
    [javac]
    [javac] where <options> includes:
    [javac] -g             Generate variable debugging info (default: just
line numbers)
    [javac] -g:nodebug     Generate no debugging info
    [javac] -O             Optimize; may hinder debugging and make class
files larger
    [javac] -O:interclass  Optimize assuming class files will always be
together

    [javac] -depend        Recompile out-of-date files recursively
    [javac] -nowarn        Generate no warnings
    [javac] -verbose       Output messages about what the compiler is doing
    [javac] -deprecation   Output source locations where deprecated APIs are
used
    [javac] -classpath <path>     Specify where to find input source and
class files
    [javac] -d <directory>        Specify where to place generated class
files
    [javac] -encoding <encoding>  Specify character encoding used by source
files
    [javac] -J<runtime flag>      Pass argument to the java interpreter

When I type javac at the command prompt I get a different error/help message
that indicates that -sourcepath is a valid option.

This is using the "classic" compiler, and sun-jdk122 (as shipped with Sybase
EAServer 3.6)

I tried using Jikes, but there was some other error (IOException while
opening a pipe with a really long set of arguments)

Can anyone identify what compiler I am stumbling upon?

--
| John J. Lehmann, johnl@axis.com.au
+ To resolve a continent the size of Asia on a planet 10 light years
+ away would need a mirror 10 kilometers across.  "These will be
+ expensive but, let's face it, cheaper than actually going to the
+ stars."

RE: Error when compiling

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>.
John,

This is usually caused by having a 1.1 version javac in your classpath along
with a 1.2+ version of java.exe in your path. Ant decides that it is being
run under 1.2 and tries to invoke javac with 1.2 style options. This often
occurs when there is a java.exe in the winnt\system32 directory placed there
by a JDK1.2+ installer but JAVA_HOME is set elsewhere to a pre 1.2 JDK.

Does that make sense?

(Saved any bandwith with greyscale images lately? :-)

--
Conor MacNeill
conor@cortexebusiness.com.au