Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2004/02/19 00:27:25 UTC

WS-Discovery

I note that there is a discovery spec called WS-Discovery up on MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-discovery.asp

This bears no relation whatsoever to the one we have in our repository;
that can remain as prior art in case they try and trademark the name.

Re: WS-Discovery

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Should we move the discovery code to WS-FX and use that as a starting point for a WS-Discovery
> implementation?

My ws-discovery is 100% different from theirs. The MS one is kind of a
multicast SOAP request with a response sent to the caller via telnet
'for security reasons'. Mine was a UDP packet containing the XML
equivalent of an SLP payload and automatic integration with Axis -all
registered services would responsd to queries for implementations of
their uri.

The existing Axis code would migrate most cleanly into an SLP library,
because all you would do is change the marshalling from XML to
hand-encoded binary packets, sending only ASCII URLS out instead of UTF-8.

It may 'only' be boring old SLP, but that is the same discovery
mechanism built into all those JetDirect cards out there; no known
security problems and well known performance characteristics.

Re: WS-Discovery

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.