Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/03 15:52:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Best place for questions / answers

In this issue https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/issues/7160
about sorting / closing our PRs and Github issues, there's a subtopic about
how to handle questions.

It'd be nice to separate the channels for:
* announcements / conversations / votes / design reviews / [DISCUSS] (ASF
mailing list!)
* issues / bugs / SIPs (Github!)
* questions / answers (????)

StackOverflow has proven to be a great place for this, it supports voting /
bubbling up top answers, has unbeatable SEO, versioning of answers,
supports rich content (code snippets, screenshots, ...), and gamifies the
whole process.

What's the ASF recommended place for Q/A? Provided a consensus + winning
vote, could we just direct people to StackOverflow?

Max

Re: [DISCUSS] Best place for questions / answers

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
The feedback on general has been mostly positive, and there doesn't seem to
be any solid policy for or against.  You can see the thread at
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fc4971196fa9230ceb89deb25ee9a6b136dce06553288d903b5b538a@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

There's useful feedback in the thread from Julian on using SO to help with
community building and Ted on how to connect it to your user list so people
on one can find things on the other.

Alan.

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Smith <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephanie Rivera <sr...@spotx.tv.INVALID>.
+1 stack overflow

Posted by Jeff Feng <je...@airbnb.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Vyl Chiang <vc...@lyft.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Krist Wongsuphasawat <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ronald munjoma <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by John Bodley <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.
Q/A related to how to use the product, one can use user@superset.apache.org
mailing list.
This is what I have seen in Geode/Spark projects.

Q/A related to how to develop the product, one can use
dev@superset.apache.org.