Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by sunil goyal <go...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/11 18:30:39 UTC

24X7 deployment tips

Hi all,

I am looking for resources for building and deploying
24X7 large scale web applications using Java. Can
anyone point towards any good books/links for the
same?

If I am trying to deploy an application via
apache/tomcat on a linux platform, is it possible to
upgrade certain servlets without actually shutting
down the server. What kind of principle is generally
followed in real life applications for the same?

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks

Regards
Sunil

RE: 24X7 deployment tips

Posted by Mark Benussi <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Sunil,

I think they keyword for your scenario is clustering.

Running multiple syncronised applications and databases allows you to take
down servers during quiet periods and still maintain a service via the other
servers whilst they are upgraded one by one.

Saying that I have worked on global .coms that always allow for some down
time during large releases / maintenance. It is not going to be easy but I
am sure you appreciate that.

One more thing that may cause a headache is session persistence under some
Tomcat clustering models.

Thats all i can think of but i'm sure you will get better advice than mine.