Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Francesco Bellomi <fb...@libero.it> on 2002/04/26 17:18:38 UTC

Comparison between XIndice and Tamino

Hi,

our company is seriously considering using XIndice for enterprise
applications. Our customer continuously ask us what are our reasons for
preferring XIndice to Tamino, which seems to be the most widely used XML
native database, at least here in Europe.
As a project manager, I like Xindice because it is open and free - and I
also believe it is very well designed - but I'd like to gain a deeper
understanding of the difference and similarities between Tamino and
XIndice, in order to give better answers to our customers.

So, I wanted to ask:

1) Where can I find some "success stories" for XIndice (or is it too early
to look for them, being XIndice a young project)?
2) Does anybody knows of any pointer to a (possibly third-part) comparison
between XIndice and Tamino, not only in term of speed, but also in term of
extensibility and flexibility?
3) Would any member of the developement team be so kind to give me his
personal view on the advantages of preferring XIndice over Tamino?

Thanks in advance,
Francesco

-
Francesco Bellomi
"Use truth to show illusion,
and illusion to show truth."

Re: Comparison between XIndice and Tamino

Posted by Francesco Bellomi <fb...@libero.it>.
Mark,
Thank you very much for your answer!
I have to say that I have been actively using XIndice (for about two
months) and my judgement is as positive as yours.
But we get asked about Tamino, so I'm also looking for some comparison
"facts", or for the opinion of people that switched from Tamino to XIndice,
or considering to do so.

>The biggest question for you to consider is whether or not your project
>ill fit within Xindice.   There are guide lines, mainly for size, on whether
>or not your project is a good fit with Xindice.

I think you're right. The "size" limitations does regard only the size of
the single XML file (as stated in the FAQs), or there are limitations also
with the overall size of the database?

Thanks again,
Francesco

-

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Francesco,
I have been using Xindice for about six months.   I consider my project a
success story, even though we haven't shipped the product yet.   Xindice
is fast, reliable and easy to use.   I gave some serious thought to using
a relational database, but in the end decided to go with XML.   I haven't
run into any bugs, which doesn't mean they aren't there :-).   The other
advantage with Xindice is that if you have a problem someone is always
happy to help out.   And the two main developers are available directly.

The biggest question for you to consider is whether or not your project
will fit within Xindice.   There are guide lines, mainly for size, on whether
or not your project is a good fit with Xindice.

HTH,
Mark