Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Struts-dev Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/06/28 20:40:01 UTC

New Struts project on SourceForge-portal: Scope:

Subject: New Struts project on SourceForge-portal: Scope:
From: "Vic C." <vi...@basebeans.com>
 ===
(fyc:)
The basicPortal uses JSTL, Struts to make it a better at web content
manager than Apache. It's goals are KISS minimalist with samples for
training. (as opposed to best design, it is a design easiest to learn).
It is the lowest common denominator of portlet engines, a Struts
equivalent to JetSpeed and based mainly on Tiles. 20% of code used 80%
of time. It is open source and free. It can run on any J2EE server and
any SQL DB.

An administrator can create select content categories and modules. They
can also approve individual line items. The can select XSL and CSS and
Look and Feel.
Any user can upload content and images.
Anyone can register themselves to portal JAAS table. (Admin can change
your role)
A developer can use Dream Weaver to create portlets with JSTL.

A portal module actions and bean is also exposed via SOAP to non JSP,
such as .NET.

Screens include:
List of content items based on a category
A zoomed content
A way to add content and upload BOBs, etc.
A list of content that needs to be approved and prioritized (Admin role
only)
A way to edit content (Admin role only).
A way for a user to add themselves
A way for an admin to  modify user

Samples of portlet modules include:
� TheServerSide.com
� Loveme.com
� Issue / bug tracking
� Mail.yahoo.
� Group Calendar
� RSS
� Ad/Banner
� Add a user module

The portlet module  is a Struts tile with it's own action controller.
( http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/tilesAdvancedFeatures.pdf  5.2 ,
7.2 , 7.4, 8.1 - we will call 5.2 a portlet module)
The basic Portal is Struts based and provides JAAS, DAO,  object caching
service and inter tile communication services for portlet modules.
Each portlet (tile w/controller) know is meta content and user role.

BasicPortal has no user customizations, rather they are role/group based
(JAAS)
It is asynchronous, all content is displayed from DB; any module or fee
is to DB, not web side.

Content table:
id, title, contnet, category, source, display order (num), image,
bigImage, postedbyemailID, storyHTTPLinkMore, storyStatus(approved),
storyDateTime, StoryDate, Price, displayNum, clickNum, displayOnPage

Re: New Struts project on SourceForge-portal: Scope:

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I found it here, Cedric

http://sourceforge.net/projects/basicportal/

I'm interested in it too. I seems to jive well with something I've been
planning myself.

http://www.husted.com/about/pinnacle/

I'm hoping we will be able to share code once this gets rolling. Though,
with between the Struts beta and my own stuff, I can't jump in as soon
as I would like. =:0(

-T.

Cedric Dumoulin wrote:

>   This is an interesting project.
>   What is the exact URL on SourceForge ?
>
>      Cedric
>
> "Struts-dev Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" wrote:
>
> > Subject: New Struts project on SourceForge-portal: Scope:
> > From: "Vic C." <vi...@basebeans.com>
> >  ===
> > (fyc:)
> > The basicPortal uses JSTL, Struts to make it a better at web content
> > manager than Apache. It's goals are KISS minimalist with samples for
> > training. (as opposed to best design, it is a design easiest to learn).
> > It is the lowest common denominator of portlet engines, a Struts
> > equivalent to JetSpeed and based mainly on Tiles. 20% of code used 80%
> > of time. It is open source and free. It can run on any J2EE server and
> > any SQL DB.
> >
> > An administrator can create select content categories and modules. They
> > can also approve individual line items. The can select XSL and CSS and
> > Look and Feel.
> > Any user can upload content and images.
> > Anyone can register themselves to portal JAAS table. (Admin can change
> > your role)
> > A developer can use Dream Weaver to create portlets with JSTL.
> >
> > A portal module actions and bean is also exposed via SOAP to non JSP,
> > such as .NET.
> >
> > Screens include:
> > List of content items based on a category
> > A zoomed content
> > A way to add content and upload BOBs, etc.
> > A list of content that needs to be approved and prioritized (Admin role
> > only)
> > A way to edit content (Admin role only).
> > A way for a user to add themselves
> > A way for an admin to  modify user
> >
> > Samples of portlet modules include:
> > · TheServerSide.com
> > · Loveme.com
> > · Issue / bug tracking
> > · Mail.yahoo.
> > · Group Calendar
> > · RSS
> > · Ad/Banner
> > · Add a user module
> >
> > The portlet module  is a Struts tile with it's own action controller.
> > ( http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/tilesAdvancedFeatures.pdf  5.2 ,
> > 7.2 , 7.4, 8.1 - we will call 5.2 a portlet module)
> > The basic Portal is Struts based and provides JAAS, DAO,  object caching
> > service and inter tile communication services for portlet modules.
> > Each portlet (tile w/controller) know is meta content and user role.
> >
> > BasicPortal has no user customizations, rather they are role/group based
> > (JAAS)
> > It is asynchronous, all content is displayed from DB; any module or fee
> > is to DB, not web side.
> >
> > Content table:
> > id, title, contnet, category, source, display order (num), image,
> > bigImage, postedbyemailID, storyHTTPLinkMore, storyStatus(approved),
> > storyDateTime, StoryDate, Price, displayNum, clickNum, displayOnPage
> >
> > --

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Java Web Development with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services

Re: New Struts project on SourceForge-portal: Scope:

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.