Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Sosnowski, Andrew P [IT]" <an...@citigroup.com> on 2002/09/12 23:32:24 UTC

What is the exact time reported by jMeter

How does jMeter calculate the response time for a page?

Many of our pages are made up of frames and also have javascript and images
but I would guess that the actual delay experienced by the User is not the
same as the sum of the times recorded by jMeter to load all these
components?

How do I get an idea of how long it took the page to load from the point of
view of a user of our web-app?

Probably I can ignore gifs and js files as after the first access these are
cached by the Browser. But what about the case of frames and the frameset
definition itself.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Re: What is the exact time reported by jMeter

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
On 12 Sep 2002 at 17:32, Sosnowski, Andrew P [IT] wrote:

> How does jMeter calculate the response time for a page?
>
> Many of our pages are made up of frames and also have javascript and images
> but I would guess that the actual delay experienced by the User is not the
> same as the sum of the times recorded by jMeter to load all these
> components?
>
> How do I get an idea of how long it took the page to load from the point of
> view of a user of our web-app?

JMeter cannot give you a subjective impression of how long a page takes to load.  But, there
is a simple solution.  Use JMeter to put a load on the server.  While that is running, browse the
site yourself with a browser.  See for yourself.  Vary the load and repeat.  By doing so, you
can hopefully figure out how the numbers from JMeter correlate to user experience for your
site.

--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org