Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "David A. Roth" <ro...@comcast.net> on 2005/11/13 05:58:57 UTC

Web hosting ISP runs Spamassassin, but not razor.

I was running spamassassin for the last couple of years on web site.
The previous ISP didn't run Spamassassin, so I installed it myself. Now
I am using a new web hosting provider (bluehost.com) and they support
spamassassin. Users can access some of its features through a control
panel.

However, when I ftp'ed over a collection of spam so spamassassin could
report it (spamassassin -r <spam-messages), it gave the error message
of:

[4005] warn: reporter: no reporting methods available, so couldn't
report
[4005] warn: spamassassin: warning, unable to report message
[4005] warn: spamassassin: for more information, re-run with -D option
to see debug output

I run it with -D and I don't see razor mentioned at all.

So, my big question is:
Q: Without being root, can I installed my own version of razor so that
it will work with spamassassin which the web hosting provider is
supporting?

I have considered installing my own version of spamassassin, but so
far, I have not been able to find out what e-mail system they are using
on bluehost.com. I don't see any .procmailrc files.

Thanks!

David Roth
rothmail (at) comcast(dot)net

Re: Web hosting ISP runs Spamassassin, but not razor.

Posted by "Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.
David A. Roth wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. So far they have not been interested in changing
> anything I requested.  (They refused to disable the X-popbeforeSMTP
> thing which lists every known e-mail address of the sender in all
> outgoing headers.) I thought I would ask here since there might be
> something simple to do I wasn't aware of. But you have a good point, I
> will open a ticket asking them anyway.
>
> As a user on this system with spamassassin, I only have access to
> spamassassin the application,  user_prefs, auto-whitelist,
> bayes_journal, bayes_seen  and bayes_toks files. I don't have access to
> local.cf or can even find where it is located.

To be perfectly frank I am not surprised you don't have access to those
files. If you are in a shared hosting environment you would not be
granted access to most things :)
If you want control over how things are setup you would probably be
better off getting a VPS/UML or dedicated server (depending on your
budget etc.)

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

Re: Web hosting ISP runs Spamassassin, but not razor.

Posted by "David A. Roth" <ro...@comcast.net>.