Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kostas Karadamoglou <ka...@yahoo.gr> on 2005/03/18 03:33:46 UTC

changing my web app and then deploying takes a lot of time!!!

Hi again!

I am currently developoing a web application and whenever I change my
project (jsp file or java classes) I have to deploy and undeploy the
application again. Which take a lot of time and it drives me crazy!!!

Do you know how can I foce tomcat to deploy my build directory and
whenever I change something in the build directory it can automatically
detect it and refresh the deployed web application?

Thank you in advance, Kostas

Re: changing my web app and then deploying takes a lot of time!!!

Posted by Bernard <bh...@actrix.gen.nz>.
Hi again,

In my case, the application's WEB-INF/web.xml change does not trigger
a reload although I have
in context.xml.

No idea why this does not work.

But a change of the application's context descriptor triggers a
reload, e.g.:

touch yourCatalinaHome/conf/Catalina/yourDotcom/ROOT.xml

No idea why this works.

Have you tried it?

Regards,
Bernard

Posted by Bernard <bh...@actrix.gen.nz>.
This drives me crazy, too.

I can't comment on .war file deployment directly because I am not
using it. But I want to help you anyway, suggesting the approach I
would take.

I would forget manager for a moment. A basic servlet engine (these
things have been around for 10 years or more, remember Sun's Java
Server) are capable to reload servlets if any of the watched resources
change.

Server restart for your purpose is a very sad state of affairs, not
acceptable by today's standards.

So I would try to touch any of the watched resources, e.g. a servlet
class file, a servlet jar file or the web.xml file.

BTW I just tried this under Windows 98 with the web.xml and my servlet
jar file without success. Same under Linux. Nothing works.

My context.xml is this:

<Context>

    <!-- Default set of monitored resources -->
        <WatchedResource>META-INF/context.xml</WatchedResource>

        <!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across
Tomcat restarts -->
        <!--
        <Manager pathname="" />
        -->

</Context>

So it should work.

I feel really lost here, too. Does changing your app context.xml work
for you? Sorry that I couldn't help you... :(

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
> I am currently developoing a web application and whenever I change my
> project (jsp file or java classes) I have to deploy and undeploy the
> application again. Which take a lot of time and it drives me crazy!!!
>
> Do you know how can I foce tomcat to deploy my build directory and
> whenever I change something in the build directory it can automatically
> detect it and refresh the deployed web application?

See the documentation for the 'reloadable' Context attribute:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html

HTH

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK