Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2005/07/07 13:48:16 UTC

[CForms] Add isValid() to a widget?

Afaik, there is no way to check in java if a widget is valid.
Does anyone care if I add a isValid() method?

The validate() method can't be used as that method starts the validation
process.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: [CForms] Add isValid() to a widget?

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 07.07.2005 17:32, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ok, I could cast it to ValidationErrorAware but it
> seems a little bit strange to have a validate() method on the widget but
> no isValid() method.

+1 makes sense.

Joerg

Re: [CForms] ValidationError, Was: Add isValid() to a widget?

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 08.07.2005 20:58, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> While on the subject of forms validation... I noticed several very
> annoying things:
>
>  * Field.getValidationError() *does not* simply return validation error:
>    it has side effects!!! It calls getValue() which can invoke parsing
>    and validation - depending on state, resulting in weird behavior.
>
>  * Field.setValidationError() *does not* simply set validation error:
>    it *also* has side effects!!! For some reason it changes widget state,
>    which can results in weird behavior.
>
> Any objections on fixing these violations as well?

+1 Of course no objections for fixing side effects.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> While on the subject of forms validation... I noticed several very annoying things:
>
>   * Field.getValidationError() *does not* simply return validation error:
>     it has side effects!!! It calls getValue() which can invoke parsing
>     and validation - depending on state, resulting in weird behavior.
>
>   * Field.setValidationError() *does not* simply set validation error:
>     it *also* has side effects!!! For some reason it changes widget state,
>     which can results in weird behavior.
>
> Any objections on fixing these violations as well?

Side effects are always bad! +1 from me to fix this.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>>no, but the interface ValidationErrorAware has and it is implemented by most
>>>model implementations.
>>>
>>>What's your usecase?
>>
>>I just want to check if a widget is valid and then output something in
>>an own transformer. Ok, I could cast it to ValidationErrorAware but it
>>seems a little bit strange to have a validate() method on the widget but
>>no isValid() method.
>
> So anyone against it?

While on the subject of forms validation... I noticed several very annoying things:

  * Field.getValidationError() *does not* simply return validation error:
    it has side effects!!! It calls getValue() which can invoke parsing
    and validation - depending on state, resulting in weird behavior.

  * Field.setValidationError() *does not* simply set validation error:
    it *also* has side effects!!! For some reason it changes widget state,
    which can results in weird behavior.

Any objections on fixing these violations as well?

Vadim

Re: [CForms] Add isValid() to a widget?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>no, but the interface ValidationErrorAware has and it is implemented by most
>>model implementations.
>>
>>What's your usecase?
>>

> I just want to check if a widget is valid and then output something in
> an own transformer. Ok, I could cast it to ValidationErrorAware but it
> seems a little bit strange to have a validate() method on the widget but
> no isValid() method.

So anyone against it?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.