Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com> on 2000/09/06 17:24:23 UTC

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Stefan,

It sounds more like what you are describing is a "strong extranet" type of
authentication with client-side as well as server-side certificates are
utilized (aka SSL v.3)

So the question recast might be: "does Tomcat have support for SSL
v.3"? Surely the SSL libraries used with Tomcat does, which means if
tomcat doesn't have "out-of-box" support for it, you could implement it
via the Interceptor or Valve interfaces / base classes yourself. No?

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by Stefan Freyr Stefansson <st...@decode.is>.
Ok... now we're getting somewhere...  This is something which may be the
thing we need to do.
I am, however, not familiar with what you're talking about when you talk
about the "Interceptor or Valve interfaces / base classes" but I'm guessing
that this may be some class that Tomcat uses for the connections.  Any
additional information on this would be very much appreciated.  I've gone
through the source files of Tomcat and found no "Interceptor.java" nor
"Valve.java" files...  (I also looked at the generated javadoc files).  Does
this have anything to do with the socketFactory or Connector/Handler
parameters in the server.xml file in the tomcat "conf" directory?  If I
"implement these classes on my own" where would I use them?  Will they be
dynamic (like with a conf file where you can select which implementation to
use) or will they replace the previous ones?

If you could either explain to me a little bit more about this or point me
to a place where I could find out more that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
	Stefan Freyr