Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Da Zheng <zh...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/25 21:33:32 UTC

the performance of HDFS

Hello,

I try to measure the performance of HDFS, but the writing rate is quite
low. When the replication factor is 1, the rate of writing to HDFS is
about 60MB/s. When the replication factor is 3, the rate drops
significantly to about 15MB/s. Even though the actual rate of writing
data to the disk is about 45MB/s, it's still much lower than when
replication factor is 1. The link between two nodes in the cluster is
1Gbps. CPU is Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2212, so CPU isn't
bottleneck either. I thought I should be able to saturate the disk very
easily. I wonder where the bottleneck is. What is the throughput for
writing on a Hadoop cluster when the replication factor is 3?

Thanks,
Da

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
This is a bit lower than it should be, but it is not so far out of line with
what is reasonable.

Did you make sure that have multiple separate disks for HDFS to use?  With
many disks, you should be able to get local disk write speeds up to a few
hundred MB/s.

Once you involve replication then you need to have data go out the network
interface, back in to another machine, back out and back in to a third
machine.  There are lots of copies going on and if you are writing lots of
files, you will typically be limited to 1/2 of your network bandwidth at
most, but doing a bit less than that is to be expected.  What you are seeing
is lower than it should be but a moderate factor.

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Da Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.
Right, thank you. it tells me the model of the hard drive I use is Hitachi
HUA72101. The spec of the drive is here:
http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/DF2EF568E18716F5862572C20067A757/$file/Ultrastar_A7K1000_final_DS.pdf
It says the Sustained transfer rate (MB/sec) is 85 - 42 (zone 0-29). I guess the
result I get is reasonable, right?

Thanks,
Da

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Da Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
Perhaps lshw would help you.

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Da Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.
Esteban,

Tools like iostat and iotop isn't installed.
>From the specification, there is a RAID controller, but I'm not sure if it's used.
zhengda@occalit28:~$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: WDC WD800AAJS-18 Rev: 01.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: Hitachi HUA72101 Rev: GKAO

Re: the performance of HDFS

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez Moguel <es...@gmail.com>.
Da,

Re: the performance of HDFS