Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/05/28 20:37:20 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Slider 0.30-incubating RC0

Hello folks,

This is a call for a vote on Apache Slider 0.30 incubating release.

A vote was held on the developer mailing list and it passed with 5 +1s.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/slider-dev/201405.mbox/%3CCABCXrRSzL9f1D%2BWD7__ULT9ZOyV6wr-vFPfKRJgsWrUPpuZw7Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Here's a summary of what's new in Slider 0.30:
* Slider application registry that allow registration and discovery of
application
   configuration and URLs (such as jmx endpoints and management UI) for
client consumption.
* Move to a .zip packaging for Slider application packages.
* Richer metadata support for start/install ordering and arbitrary
templates that can
  be published after application activation.
* Dynamic port allocation and registration
* Updated application definition packages for HBase, Accumulo, and Storm.

Git source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-slider.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-0.30-rc0

Staging site:
http://people.apache.org/~smohanty/slider-release-0.30-rc0/

PGP release keys (signed using 791FDAB0)
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xECFC8276791FDAB0

One can look into the issues fixed in this release at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20%22Slider%200.30%22%20AND%20Status%20%3D%20Resolved

Note that this is a source only release and we are voting on the source.

Vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here's my vote to start: +1 (binding)

thanks
Sumit

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Apache Slider 0.30-incubating RC0

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)

>> I did miss the compilation instruction in the original email. The markdown
>> file is at
Might be a good idea if these instructions were included in the source release, typically they go in BUILDING or README.

> we can use ant to build thse files in future
I think would be the best approach.

> what build command did you use?
Just a "mvn compile", I just tried  "mvn clean install -DskipTests" as per the instructions and that worked.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache Slider 0.30-incubating RC0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 29 May 2014 04:56, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Thanks Justin.
>
> I did miss the compilation instruction in the original email. The markdown
> file is at
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-slider.git;a=blob;f=src/site/markdown/developing/building.md;h=8bf3954a73ed696868d987fef526f245b010de44;hb=master
>
> We will also add it to the Slider homepage as a stand-alone instruction
> outside the release.
>
> These binary files are used for testing. Slider consumes .zip files
> containing application definitions to be deployed on Yarn. These files are
> used to unit test the ability to consume .zip files and also reject .tar
> files (or badly formed .zip files). Is there any way we can leave them as
> is?

we can use ant to build thse files in future, though there's always the
risk it generates better tar/zip files than what the local tooling
sometimes does. This could even be done in the test runs as groovy-all.jar
has the code

> The slider-funtest module contains code to run functional test against live
> clusters. They are run per instructions at
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-slider.git;a=blob;f=src/site/markdown/developing/functional_tests.md;h=d58c0ea4a3083d15c8438466af933465b945f7cd;hb=master
>
> The issue we need to fix is to not have the functional tests run when
> running "mvn test" rather have it explicitly run when proper setup exists.

that should be the case, -the error message looks more like a mvn artifact
download failure, which is interesting -local builds should be publishing
the -test artifact to the local repo. what build command did you use?

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Justin.

[...]

A JIRA is open towards this end but it was not fixed for the 0.30 release.

I have created a JIRA for the other issues you have identified.

-Sumit

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Your notice file looks a bit fishy.  How can the contents be copyright
2007 - 2014 Apache when Slider just joined the incubator last month?
Probably not a big deal.

Other than that, I don't see any issues.

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sumit,

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
Including the earlier PPMC phase of the vote we have a total of 4 binding
votes.

Steve Loughran (IPMC)
Justin Mclean (IPMC)
Jean-Baptiste Onofré (IPMC)
Billie Rinaldi (IPMC)

The release is approved.

Other votes:

Josh Elser (PPMC)
Sumit Mohanty (PPMC)
Ted Yu (PPMC)

Thanks
Sumit

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 binding​

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

The license file could be update, but not blocker.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré